Staging a property is usually a great idea. Staging helps potential buyers "see" the space. Staging is perfect for condos and single family homes that have small, enormous or awkward spaces. There are many real estate agents who offer staging as part of their services. But staging is a skill...and not all real estate agents have that skill. You have probably seen a few of those properties where the agents didn't have the "staging" gene.
It's A Little Embarrassing
When you walk into a property that hasn't been staged by a professional, it makes you laugh and you also feel a little embarrassed for our profession. Here are just a few staging mishaps that are pretty sad.
- An outdoor lounge chair with a bedspread thrown over it posing as a "bed"
- A 6" vase with plastic flowers on the kitchen counter
- A card table and two folding chairs posing as a dining room set
- A chair placed in the corner of the living room posing as...I couldn't tell you!
- A plastic plant in a corner
- Rearranging furniture and rugs from the 1940's posing as vintage
This Is Not Staging
If any of the above is the best you have to offer, spare us all and don't do anything...why bother? This is not staging...it just looks ridiculous. This "staging" is not going to make a buyer make an offer on your listing any faster. This "staging" doesn't even help a buyer visualize themselves living in the space. If anything it hurts the property because that's all the buyer remembers. Here are just a couple of tips I have for Realtors when it comes to staging a property.
What Not to Do
- If you don't have enough furniture for proper staging, don't try to do it yourself...call a professional.
- If you don't have the talent for proper staging, don't try to do it yourself...call a professional.
- If you or your seller don't have the money to pay a professional, leave the house vacant.
- If you can't stage, make sure the property is clean and freshly painted.
Everyone Is Not A Stager
I'm not a stager. I don't want to be a stager, so I don't have a garage or storage unit full of miscellaneous furniture and accessories. It's not what I do. I know lots of real estate agents who do staging and do it quite well...it's just not what I do. Why? Because I know my limitations and I choose to "stay in my lane"!
- It's All About Lifestyle
- A Better You
- Back To Bascis Again
- I Thought This Would Be Easier
- 5 Things You May Want To Improve
Real-Life Real Estate Training – Real Training, Real Results!
- Have you struggled turning contacts into clients?
- Are you working hard, but hardly making any money?
- Are you beginning to think you made a bad career choice?
If you answered “yes” to any of these questions you are in the right place! The Real-Life Real Estate Training program was designed to transform you and your business so that you achieve your goals. It doesn’t matter what stage in your real estate career you are in…new, experienced, or somewhere in between, our systems will help you focus your time, energy and effort on the right areas of your business. The Real-Life Real Estate Training program was designed by an active real estate agent, so our program is totally realistic, doable and easy to put into action immediately. You’ve learned how to become a real estate agent, but now it’s time to learn what it takes to BE a real estate agent. My name is Candy Miles-Crocker and I’d love to talk to you if you still have some questions or need additional information. Fill out my online contact form or give me a call at (202) 669-1924. Check out what our valued clients have said about us on our testimonials page. Take our class on how to deliver your Buyer Presentation and receive a FREE Buyer Presentation you can download and customize. Use this coupon for a $50 discount. https://www.udemy.com/the-buyer-presentation/?couponCode=Newsletter. Stop wasting your precious time and use this proven Presentation to improve the way you do business.
Let’s Go to Work!