A few weeks ago a broker asked me how it is that I have so much confidence in the Realtors I work with. She found it surprising that I seem to have a fundamental belief that anyone can make it in this tough business. I’ll tell you how I answered after sharing the following story:
Last week I read an article that the BYU football team had just recruited a young man from Tonga, 6’7” 410lbs. The team has never seen him play. The media asked the football coach how they could recruit and give a scholarship to a kid that they’ve never seen on the field. The coach simply answered “You can teach anyone how to play football but you can’t make anyone that big.”
There are individuals that appear to naturally take to Real Estate. One day they’re a teacher and the next day they’re rookie of the year in home sales. Five years later they’re in the top 20 in a community and 10 years in they’re one of the top 5 producers in a market. As I closely observe these Realtors I find that they have several things in common. Just as BYU’s football coach believes you can teach anyone how to play football, I believe that anyone can learn real estate. Don’t get me wrong. There’s nothing easy about it. If you’re committed however I truly believe you can find your piece of success in this business.
Below are 5 common traits I see in our most successful Realtors:
1) Systems – the best of the best have a systematic, repeatable way of doing business
2) Consistency – whether the market is up or down, whether or not their personal lives are up or down, no matter what is thrown at them they come to work every day and then they do the work.
3) Marketing – Top Producers consistently market themselves no matter what is happening in the market, and no matter how busy or slow they are. They have systems in place that allow them to consistently get their message out, every day, every week, every month, every quarter, every year. They never stop marketing.
4) Calm in the storm – last week I blogged on this topic. Having the blessing of working at a very busy branch I see a lot of contracts come through our doors. I am often amazed at Top Producers’ ability to keep deals together that seem to be falling apart. They never give up and are always using their experience and determination to help get the deal to the closing table. These Top Producers just don’t have quit in their language.
5) Courtesy – Early in life I learned that often, the most successful people in life are the most kind, generous, humble, and appreciative. The Top Producers that frequent our office are the Realtors that most often recognize our efforts, give praise when appropriate, and consistently ask us if there’s anything they can do to help us move the file towards closing. They are some of the kindest and most giving people I have ever known.