All I can say this morning is thank goodness I had the good fortune to start updating my personal website structure a month ago because who woulda thunk it would crash on WordPress yesterday beyond repair? The culprit, says my website guy, is the way it was designed by the website creator, a woman in southern California, whom I had found a while back on Active Rain. It was fragile, wobbily and not up to internet standards.
The latest WordPress plug-in updates blew up my website. Sure, I have other websites and a strong internet presence, but not having my domain online is like those dreams you have about showing up at school naked -- or, er, um, I can't be the only one, darn it.
Having to focus on this issue makes the other issues I'm dealing with seem less severe, but I'll share them with you anyway since I cannot post a blog on my own personal Sacramento real estate website this morning.
Sacramento Real Estate Agent #1:
For example, I discovered through Supra an agent had accessed a lockbox on a vacant home listing that has been pending for a few weeks. I removed the key from the lockbox and put it into a contractor's box for the pest company, a few days ago. The agent accessed the lockbox not only once, but twice within a 2-minute time-frame. It made me wonder if she tried to open the box and then her phone rang so she chatted for a few minutes, and then tried again. Because once you open it and discover no key, why would you do it again?
In any case, I emailed her to inquire as to why she was accessing a lockbox on a pending listing. At first, she denied it. I sent her the showing PDF from Supra and suggested perhaps somebody stole her code or she lost her display key. Suddenly she recalled the incident from yesterday.
Her excuse? She had a listing nearby and wanted to see how my listing compared.
Weintraub: You do know it is against MLS rules to access the lockbox of a pending listing.
She said it looked like it was vacant.
Weintraub: Whether it is occupied is immaterial, you are not authorized to access a listing that is pending without permission.
She brought up the fact there was no key inside.
Weintraub: It is against the guidelines to open a lockbox when you are not authorized. You could get into trouble someday. This is why I sometimes have to take the key out of the lockbox after homes go into pending status because some agents don't bother to check the status.
She found the listing on Realtor.com and it didn't show the correct status.
Weintraub: MLS is the only place you should look.
That's when the agent said I should probably make all of my showings by appointment only then without a lockbox, so this would never reoccur!
Sacramento Real Estate Agent #2
After waiting for short sale approval for 5 weeks, we received approval from the second lender and are waiting for approval from the first. The first lender sent a counter offer for a higher sales price, which I passed along to the buyer's agent. The buyer's agent exploded, rejected the counter offer and then demanded a response within 24 hours, which I explained was unlikely to happen.
The agent then called to complain about the fact, to lob an insult that she knows I "fancy myself an expert and all" but it is completely unfair for my seller to require her buyer to refrain from writing other offers when something like this could happen.
Weintraub: Hello? This is what you get with a short sale. There are no guarantees the bank won't try to negotiate. It doesn't happen often but it still happens.
The agent continued to whine I should change my practice.
Weintraub: Look, at this point your buyer needs to wait for the bank to respond or your buyer can cancel. Those are your two options. I am not about to change the way I do business, so there is no reason to discuss that.
The agent continued to disagree with the way I conduct business.
Weintraub: Let me reiterate, the buyer either waits for a response or the buyer cancels. Choose one. I'm sorry you don't like the fact that we want buyers to behave like a buyer, but trust me, NOT changing that stance, NOT altering our position.
The agent still continued to whine.
Now my husband is standing in the doorway, having just come home from work to listen to this exchange, and he's shaking his head. But he's heard this all before.
Weintraub: Please understand there are 2 choices here . . .
The agent hung up.
Real Estate Agent from San Jose:
She submitted an offer for a home her buyer has not viewed. I know because I asked if she showed it. She said she had driven by with the buyer, but that seems unlikely since they are both from the Bay area. Drive all this way and not make an appointment? The offer was list price but it was missing many crucial elements, including a prequalification from a particular lender that is required per the instructions in MLS.
The agent wanted the seller to accept her offer regardless.
Weintraub: Unlikely, under the circumstances. It doesn't make sense to go off the market while we wait for your buyer to decide if he wants to buy this home.
Then she lectured me for a few minutes about how I am not required to change the status of the listing in MLS and I could just leave it in active status while we waited for the buyer to view the home, because that's not misrepresentation. She offered that her buyer would also reduce the earnest money deposit to 1% of the sales price but did not want to get prequalified through another lender.
Weintraub: I don't make up these requirements. If your buyer doesn't want to apply through the required lender, then the buyer can purchase some other home. It's all online and easy to apply.
This morning I received an email from the agent.
She asked if her buyer can offer less than list price.
I sure hope the switching of my website clears up soon. My web guy says it should be OK in a few hours and this will never happen again. At least one thing in Sacramento real estate won't be repetitive.