Back To School Safety Tips
1. Walk the school / bus stop route along with your kids before the first
day of school to MAKE SURE your kid/ kids knows the route.
2. When you can’t walk with your kids, encourage them to walk with a
friend to the bus stop or to school. DO NOT WALK ALONE.
3. Encourage your kids to AVOID SHORT CUTS unless they have been
pre-approved with you.
4. Tell your children to stay observant and aware of their surroundings. If
they think they are being followed, they should immediately RUN to a
trusted adult and tell them.
5. Make sure your kids knows what to do if they think they’re in danger –
they should yell / scream “HELP” or “ YOU’RE NOT MY MOM / DAD ” and
RUN to the nearest business or back to school.
6. Tell your kids, if a stranger asks questions, they should NOT GET NEAR
the car. Make sure they know to “ NEVER” get in a car with a stranger –
anyone the kids and parents don’t know or know very well.
7. Establish a “CODE WORD” with your kids to identify a person as a
8. Make sure your child knows they should NEVER go near any adult they
don’t personally know who is asking for help. Some “BAD” adults might
ask for help or even claim they are looking for a lost puppy.
9. Make sure your children know who is a trusted adult: COPS, STORE
OWNERS, or a TEACHER, to name a few.
10. Tell your child that if they are ever in a situation that makes them uncomfortable, they have the right to “SAY NO, LOUD AND CLEAR”.