We had the most amazing salad for dinner this evening and, with the addition of fresh peaches, it was perfection!!! I added some left over pork strips to my husband's and it became more than a salad, it was a meal!! (would also be good with quinoa)
If you're looking for something a wee bit different, I hope you'll enjoy this!
What you'll need is:
- 1 cup of dry couscous
- ½ cup dried currents
- 1 1/4 cups chicken stock
- 3 tablespoons freshly squeezed lemon juice
- ½ teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 finely chopped garlic clove
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- ½ teaspoon black pepper
- 6 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 can drained chickpeas
- 1 cup cherry or grape tomatoes, halved
- ¼ pound crumbled feta cheese
- 3 tablespoons torn fresh mint
- 3 green onions , finely chopped
- 2 diced fresh peaches as garnish
What you do is:
- Combine the couscous and currents in a large bowl. Pour 1 1/4 cups hot chicken broth over the mixture. Cover and let stand 5 minutes; fluff it up with a fork.
- In a bowl, whisk together the lemon juice, cumin, garlic, salt and pepper and olive oil.
- Add chickpeas, tomatoes, feta, mint and green onions to the bowl of couscous. Pour the dressing over the mixture and toss well.
- Let sit, covered at room temperature for a few hours til ready to serve.
- Add peaches to top of salad and serve.
- Remember, if you'd like to add cold meat to this, pork or lamb would be fantastic as would chicken!