Carbon Monoxide: Avoidance and Prevention

By
Home Inspector with Pillar to Post professional Home Inspection WA lic Inspector #236

  CARBON MONOXIDE: AVOIDANCE AND PREVENTION

Carbon monoxide (CO) is an odorless, colorless gas produced by the combustion of fuels such as natural gas, oil, and propane in devices such as furnaces, water heaters, and stoves. These items are normally designed to vent the CO to the outside, but harmful interior levels of CO can result from incomplete combustion of fuel, improper installation, or blockages, leaks or cracks in the venting systems.

Homeowners can take action against potential carbon monoxide poisoning by taking the following steps:

  • Have all fuel-burning appliances professionally inspected yearly, preferably before the start of the cold-weather season when heaters and furnaces are first used
  • These appliances include gas stoves and ovens, furnaces and heaters, water heaters, generators, and clothes dryers
  • All such devices should be properly installed and vented to the outside whenever possible
  • If repairs are necessary, be sure they are performed by a qualified technician
  • Always use the proper fuel specified for the device
  • Have flues and chimneys for fuel-burning fireplaces or wood stoves inspected regularly for cracks, leaks, and blockages that may allow a buildup of CO to occur
  • Never use gas stoves or ovens to heat the home, even temporarily
  • Do not start or idle a vehicle in a garage, even with the outer garage door open
  • For additional protection, purchase a CO detector (either battery operated or plug-in) and follow the manufacturer’s instructions for proper location and installation
  • Learn what to do should the CO alarm activate: If anyone in the home experiences symptoms such as fatigue, dizziness, blurred vision, nausea, or confusion, everyone should leave immediately and seek medical attention. If no symptoms are felt, open doors and windows immediately and shut off all fuel-burning devices that may be potential sources of CO.

Pillar To Post SE King County serves, Issaquah, Renton, Maple Valley, Covington, Bellevue, Enumclaw and surrounding areas.  Visit our Web site www.ptphome.com/sekingcounty
Posted by

-Brendan

Comments (1)

Kim Harris
Sound Realty - Kirkland, WA
Designated Broker/Owner/Sound Realty

         Thanks Brendan,    

         This is the kind of information buyers do not even think about when purchasing their new home. Always better to be safe  than..........you know.   In multi- level homes CO detectors are very important.

Apr 17, 2008 04:59 AM

What's the reason you're reporting this blog entry?

Are you sure you want to report this blog entry as spam?