It's National Dog Day today, August 26th. If you're a parent to one or more dogs, it's your day to go out and celebrate with your dog(s) and maybe do something really special with them or for dogs, in general, if you're not a doggie parent, but a lover of dogs.
Here's a list of 20 things you can do to celebrate National Dog Day with your dog from the National Dog Day website:
1. Adopt a dog from your local shelter or pure breed rescue organization. Volunteer at your local shelter and offer to walk a dog or play with a dog, clean cages or anything else they need help with.
2. Have a safety check of your home to make sure it's safe for your dog and others.
3. Donate blankets, food and toys to animal welfare organizations.
4. Organize a peaceful demonstration in front of your community pet store that sells puppies.
5. Write your Congressman and ask that he/she support the ban of Puppy Mills and Gas Chambers in your state.
6. Order an adorable dog shaped flower arrangement from 1-800-Flowers.com and enjoy a 10% discount by using code GOODLIVING when placing your order!
7. Have a National Dog Day party and invite all your friends and their dogs!
8. Spend the day taking photos of your dog and then enter our photo contest!
9. Buy an official National Dog Day Tee here and sport it proudly!
10. Assist an ill or elderly neighbor by walking their dog.
11. Have a portrait painted of your dog to suspend the fleeting magic of dogdom.
12. Buy your dog a fun new dog toy....or two...or five.
13. Give your dog some fun exercise by taking him or her to a doggy play resort.
15. Brush your dog to eliminate excess fur.
16. Give your dog a massage or holistic spa treatment.
17. Teach your dog a new trick.
18. Buy your dog a fashionable collar and leash.
19. Hire a professional pet photographer for a fun photo shoot.
20. Take your dog to the beach.
Needless to say, my favorite things to do would be #1 and #3, as all of our dogs (and cats) have been rescues from our local shelter. I'm not in a position to adopt a dog today, but I will be delivering a car trunk-full of food and supplies to my local animal shelter. But if you're looing to give a dog its fur-ever home, here's a list of where you can adopt one in the Charlotte metro area:
WHERE TO ADOPT A DOG IN CHARLOTTE, NORTH CAROLINA METRO AREA ON NATIONAL DOG DAY:
HUMANE SOCIETY OF YORK COUNTY
8177 Regent Parkway Fort Mill, SC 29715
Shelter Adoption Hours:
Tuesday through Sunday, 1:00 PM – 4:00 PM
(Closed on Mondays)
CAROLINA P.A.W.S. (PET ADOPTTION & WELFARE SOCIETY)
P.O. Box 365, Waxhaw, NC 28173
HUMANE SOCIETY OF CHARLOTTE
2700 Toomey Avenue, Charlotte, NC 28203
Shelter Open:Monday – Sunday, 11:00am – 5:00pm
IRONSTONE LANE RESCUE & STABLES
127 Ironstone Lane Troutman, NC 28166
These are but four places where you can go in the Charlotte metro area to adopt a dog. We have numerous rescue societies and shelters, including Project Halo, Greater Charlotte SPCA, Furever Angels Animal Rescue, Precious Paws Rescue, and more!
National Dog Day is a great reason to go out and show your love and appreciation for how much dogs contribute to our lives and emotional well-being. Happy National Dog Day!