Realtors here are some great tips on how to stay safe during open houses and showings.
It's important for every agent to remember there are risks when we are meeting customers or clients out in the field. Ginger Harper posted a question recently in our Q&A section about office safety procedures. I replied that our office - like so many - leaves it to the individual agent.
Ginger asked what my plan is. That was a great question and reminded me to review that plan.
This might be a good time to remind yourself of your own plan for your safety out in the field. Here's my answer.
- I take a buddy with me whenever possible, and it usually is possible.
- When showing a property I always research the client unless I know them. I can't do that for open houses though so I really try to have another person with me for those. Even if personal safety isn't a problem it helps to have another pair of eyes safeguarding the owner's personal property.
- I make sure I have someone to call who knows where I'll be in case of emergency.
- I keep my phone in hand with the RealAlert app open, ready to push if there is any problem.
- I always follow rather than precede the client into a room, and I stay near the exit.
- Last but not least I took a killer defense class. Really, if the attack is severe some of these moves could seriously impair the attacker. Not your standard martial arts moves, this is defense for ordinary people in extraordinary circumstances.
Hopefully we will never need to implement our safety plans but I do hope you have one.
Do you have any good tips or thoughts to share that can help us all stay safe?
Please call or email me if you are considering selling or buying a property on Kauai. I work with a sales team that are experts at helping you make the right move!
Kathleen Luiten, REALTOR Broker
CENTURY 21 All Islands
Don't just dream, call Kathleen!