How Safe Are Backpacks. Can they cause injuries to your child? Are they too heavy, do they carry their weight properly, are they being packed properly for even weight distribution? Kids get backaches because they carry all their text and note books, supplies, and personal items with them. These can become serious problems.
The recommended carry weight is no more that 10-15% of the child’s body weight. Heavy backpacks can cause back and neck strain, chronic or lifelong back pain. Have you noticed a child bending forward when walking with a backpack? Obviously compensating for being pulled backwards by the weight.
Hanging a backpack off one shoulder to look cool can cause the child to lean the other way to compensate. Grunting or groaning when putting on a backpack indicates a weight issue, if they have red marks on their shoulders, or if they say their fingers or arms feel tingly or numb they are suffering from backpack problems.
How Safe Are Backpacks? How to avoid some backpack problems:
- Select a backpack that is no bigger than necessary; the bigger the pack, the more items the child will squeeze into it.
- Narrow straps can add to the problem. Padded straps that are at least 2″ wide are recommended.
- Straps need to be adjustable and padded. Narrow straps can cause nerve damage. A padded back and compartments helps distribute the weight so that heaviest items are against the back.
- Check with teachers and ask for suggestions as to what is needs to be carried home each night.
- Parents should look in the bags to recommend what items to take and which to leave home.
- Books can be left in lockers until needed for class and do not need to be carried all day.
Digital textbooks when available will certainly help reduce the need to carry so much weight. Addressing some of these issues will take away some of the problems.
In the meantime, do some checking on your own; remember some of these injuries can last a lifetime. For further information,click here. or here.
To search properties in the Trinity-New Port Richey area, click here.
I hope you found this information helpful and informative: How Safe Are Backpacks
Thinking of Selling Your Home in Trinity-New Port Richey to Hudson?
Craig and I have been selling in this area for 20+ years.
Call Me or email my assistant, Shayna.
Florida Luxury Realty
Trinity, FL 34655
Save A Life: Adopt A Shelter Pet