Home Winterization Checklist
Autumn has been beautiful here in Steamboat Springs, CO - sunny, blue sky days with temperatures in the mid-upper 70s and cool nights with clear skies. The aspens are golden and vibrant.
While it is easy to get lulled into the false sense that these days could last forever, anyone who has lived in Steamboat Springs, or anywhere in Colorado for that matter, know that these warm days are numbered. Any moment now, the cold and snow will blow in. That means Steamboat residents are hustling during these gorgeous fall days to get our homes and yards ready for winter.
I put together a checklist and a short video with tips to help prepare your home for Old Man Winter.
Checklist to Winterize Your Steamboat Springs Home
Lawn, Garden & Deck
- - Fertilize lawn prior to snowfall
- - Put away outdoor cushions, furniture & toys
- - Drain & winterize outdoor faucets & irrigation systems
- - Trim branches that hang over house & power lines
Windows & Doors
- - Seal gaps & cracks with weatherstripping & caulk
- - Put up storm windows & doors if you have them
Heating, Ventilating & Air Conditioning
- - Replace furnace filters & humidifier
- - Have a professional inspect heating system
- - Have chimney swept
- - Reverse ceiling fans
Tools & Machinery
- - Drain & winterize lawn mower & other lawn machinery to store for season
- - Pull out the snow shovels and snowblower & prepare for winter
Gutters & Roof
- - Clean & inspect gutters & downspouts
- - Drain exposed pipes
- - Wrap pipes with insulation
Smoke Alarms & Carbon Monoxide Detectors
- - Test and replace batteries as necessary
I made this video a couple years ago but it is still pertinent today. Enjoy!
Now that your home is ready for winter, you will have time to get out there and play in the snow.