Unfortunately, we are hearing more and more about Realtors who have been attacked and/or killed while showing properties or holding open houses. I ran across an interesting blog on Linkedin on this very subject. Here's some advice that other Realtors offered when it came to open houses and showing properties to strangers:
- Never go alone. Always tell the person on the phone you and your partner will be happy to meet them and show them the property and/or rental.
- Hang bells on the doors so you can hear it when someone opens the door.
- When you arrive for an open house, lock all doors until you have the property ready to show and then lock the doors when you close the home and are returning it to pre-show condition.
- Carry a gun, mace, pepper spray, or stun gun.
- Know self-defense.
- Never walk in front of the buyers. Always allow them to go before you.
- Meet them at the office first to get to know them.
- If you have an uncomfortable feeling about someone during an open house, allow them to walk through the house alone and tell them you have to take care of something outside and then wait for them to finish up and return outside.
These were just a few of the comments posted on this blog. What safety advice would you offer to someone who was showing property and/or holding an open house?