When considering a potential new residence it’s important to think about the neighborhood and surrounding amenities that are close by. Make a list of all of the amenities or services that are nearby or close to the neighborhood and track how long it takes as well as what routes you might use to get to each. You can also check the Walk Score of a neighborhood for a short-hand look at convenience.
Next, decide what the best characteristics of the neighborhoods are and determine what you like about them. Making a list of each neighborhood you are considering can be particularly helpful later when comparing different localities. Some things to ask yourself include:
- Do the people in the surrounding neighborhood seem friendly?
- Are the neighboring residences clean or well-kept? (e.g. yards and streets nearby)
- Are there parks or other recreational facilities close by or within minimal driving distance?
- Is the area scenic and/or visually appealing?
- Are there trees and similar foliage lining the streets and in neighboring yards?
- Are the streets well lit and do the sidewalks provide easy access?
- Do you feel safe in the neighborhood and would you feel safe walking after dark?
- Are there other houses for sale nearby?
- What is the history about the community and how it developed?in Del Ray
- Do you see families and children in the surrounding residences?
- What is the proximity to schools and your place of work?
- Does the community and neighborhood seem active and/or engaged?
- What is the median age-range of those who live in the neighborhood?
Finally, really spend some time walking around and observing the neighborhood you’re considering. When trying to determine the safety, cleanliness and personality of a specific neighborhood, simply spending some honest time getting to know the area and meeting or talking to some of its residents is your best bet!