Here are some common sense remedies that we often overlook in our busy lives.
- Buy recycled content, remanufactured, and recyclable office products, and recycle them when appropriate (including e-cycling electronics). At a minimum, buy recycled paper and recycle it again. See the small business guide to pollution prevention for more information: http://www.epa.gov/ecycling/index.htm.
- Clean Out Your Files and recycle papers you no longer need. Many organizations sponsor cleaning weeks; check with your office management staff.
- Use spell check and proofread before you print or copy. Print double sided whenever possible. Minimize the amount of paper you use.
- Buy reusable office supplies instead of disposable supplies.
- Set up an area to store and exchange reusable office supplies, such as binders
- Recycle fluorescent bulbs properly to prevent hazardous mercury from entering the environment.
In addition to these items, check the Environmental Protection Agency's "At the Workplace" page http://www.epa.gov/epahome/workplac.htm.