McAdenville, North Carolina, known as Christmas Town, USA kicks off it's annual Christmas Light Festival, Tuesday, December 1st, with the official lighting ceremony at 5:00 pm on the Plaza in front of the Pharr Family YMCA. McAdenville's lights will stay on each night through December 26th.
Why is McAdenville, North Carolina called Christmas Town, USA? Since the 1950's, each year the town is transformed into a "winter wonderland," featuring the biggest holiday light display in the USA, including:
- Some 400 decorated, live trees ranging in height from 6 to 90+ feet.
- Some 33 trees circling the lake in the center of McAdenville are also decorated with lights. The lake is further enhanced by a fountain with lights and a 46 foot wide lighted image of Old Man Winter blowing snowflakes into the air.
- It's estimated that some 500,000 lights decorate Christmas Town, USA from December 1st throught December 26th.
- 200+ wreaths hang on town lampposts.
- Santa and his reindeer (a 9 by 70 foot display) are featured.
- Chrono-chime bells play Christmas carols throughout the 26 days of December, as do the chimes from the 80 foot steeple of the McAdenville Baptist Church.
- There's also a life-size nativity scene and life-size figures of carolers (complete with music).
- Town residents "go to town" decorating their front doors, yards, and homes, as well.
- Santa also visits each night between 6pm and 9pm.
Located just 15 miles west of Charlotte, North Carolina, McAdenville's fewer than 700 residents play host to over 600,000 visitors during the 26 day festival. This annual event, which has grown in popularity and scope since its inception in 1956, has been listed by both Yahoo and Time Magazine as one of the country's top 10 holiday light display destinations. And this year, McAdenville is nominated for USA Today's 10 Best Readers Choice Awards as one of the 10 Best Destinations for the 2015 holidays.
And with so many visitors, click here for some tips and tricks to navigating the this tiny town.
McAdenville, North Carolina, AKA, Christmas Town USA should definitely be on your list of things to do during the holiday season! Click here for directions to McAdenville/Christmas Town USA.