Are you present in the conversation? What message does your inattentiveness give to others?
Are you present in the Conversation?
We need to be more intentional about showing others that we value the conversation.
Here are some tips that add value in our conversations:
1. Do not text or check emails during the conversation.
2. Do not look around the room or out the window.
3. Do not have a one way conversation, don't preach.
4. Do not abruptly change the subject.
5. Do not talk over them, LISTEN.
6. Do ask questions to help clarify and understand their point.
7. Do let them finish their own sentences.
8. Do show compassion when it is obvious they are hurting.
9. Do listen to their heart.
10. Do be on time for your meeting.
In our business and personal conversations much good can come from being present in the conversation.