Visit Point of Honor
The home commonly known as Point of Honor has passed through several predominate Lynchburg VA families. The age of the residence is not know for certain, based upon the details of the oldest decorative style of the home it is estimated the home was constructed in 1815-1830 when Dr. George Cabell owned over 800 acres overlooking the city of Lynchburg. The home stayed in the Cabell family and was inherited by Judge Danies when his daughter Elizabeth Daniel Cabell passed away in 1830. The neighborhood around Point of Honor is called Daniels Hill in honor fo Judge Daniel. other weel to do Lynchburg families were the Owens, Litchford and the Paynes.
The home was deeded to the City of Lynchburg who put the property to use in several ways. It was a soup kitchen during the depression, recreation center, and even a nursery during World War II.
The house design is a center hall flanked by towers on either side. The home is of brick construction with a slate roof. Originally there were gardens and several out buildings. Some of which remain. The grounds have also been restored and have some wonderful old trees. Point of Honor is a great place for picnicking of a casual walk.
Point of Honor is still owned by teh City of Lynchburg and is part of the Lynchburg Museum system. It is open for tour on certains and hosts several events during the year. Education is a strong part of the mission of Point of Honor and each year hundered of school children visit to see live in 1815.
in 2015, the Movie Point of Honor was released. The movie is based at the home.
(Photographed Mar 2006 and Contributed by Paula Lucy Delosh)