With a potentially record breaking winter snow storm on it's way it would probably be a wise decision to put some preparation in place in case the storm turns out to be serious (and no, I'm not talking about running through the aisles of the grocery store to fight for the last gallon of milk). This is about preparing your home beyond the obvious shovel and salt routine that you're used to. If the weatherman is right (and they're NEVER wrong.....) then we could end up with a foot or more of snow, so here's a few ideas to help you make the best of a big snowfall:
The Benya Group's Winter Snow Storm Home Preparation Checklist:
- Clear Your Gutters - With a wet, heavy snowfall clogged gutters and downspouts will get overwhelmed and all that extra weight can spell serious trouble. Clear them now to reduce the risk of home damage
- Shut Off Outdoor Faucets - If you don't have interior shutoff valves, head to home depot and buy these covers for your faucets to reduce the rist of a cracked or burst pipe on the exterior of your home
- Check your Carbon Monoxide Detectors - With a power outage you want to make sure that you don't cause a carbon monoxide buildup due to trying to keep warm by the fireplace. Check your batteries now!
- Fill Your Bathtub - If you live on a well rather than public utilities, it might be a good idea to fill your tub. If you lose power that means your well pump will no longer be running either!
- Check Your Attic - Make sure your roof isn't showing any signs of leaks; 12" of snow is a LOT of weight and strain on your roof, so don't let a minor issue become a big one while you're snowed in.
- Bring Pets Indoors - Now is not the time to let fido sleep in the doghouse, make sure your pets are indoors and warm!
- Have Essentials Ready - An emergency medical kit, rock salt, shovels, ice scrapers, and a 3 day food and water supply is essential, so make your list and check it twice before the snow starts falling!