Moving Timeline ...
Here's a handy list to help you decide when the best time for your "To Do's" ....
8 Weeks Before:
- Sort through the contents of your closets, drawers, cupboards, attic and basement to weed out what you don't want or deem necessary to move to another house. Hold a "Moving Sale", "Yard Sale" or Donate to charity all of your unwanted items
- Inventory everything of value that you plan to move with you and determine replacement values for insurance purposes. Also take pictures to help document those items
- Obtain estimates from several moving companies and choose one
6 Weeks Before:
- Finalize your real estate or rental needs
- If you're moving out of town, make travel arrangements and accomodations
- Notify your childrens schools of the move and also contact new schools for their enrollment information
- Obtain copies of school records, or arrange to have them sent to the new schools for you
- Obtain copies of you and your families medical records
- Obtain all records for your pets from the vet to take to your new location
- Ask your current physician for possible recommendations in your new location
- Consult your insurance agents to find out if changes to policies are necessary
4 Weeks Before:
- Alert utility companies to disconnect services the after you move and to have new service activated several days prior to your arrival at your new destination. If you need help finding the numbers to call, the Chamber of Commerce is a good place for information on that.
- If necessary, arrange for storage in your new community
- If you're packing the contents of your home yourself, order supplies and begin the packing process
1 Week Before:
- If you're packing your things yourself, finish last of packing
- Confirm travel arrangements, if necessary
- Arrange deposit or payment to movers
- Obtain cash to have on hand for incidentals and to tip movers
- Write directions to your new home ofr the moving company, confirm delivery date and give them your schedule and estimated time of arrival as well as contact information
- Complete "change of address" forms at the post office and send notices to all magazine subscriptions, catalogs, friends, family, bank, etc...
- Cancel newspaper subscription
- Notify employers (new and old) of new address and new contact information
- Clean your whole house including carpets for the arrival of the new owners
- Obtain health certificates from your vet for pets traveling by air
- Pack suitcases that you plan on using while moving to your new location. Include all important documents, financial records, keys, clothes, jewelry, toilitries, etc...
- Pack your first night box
- Accompany the mover as he or she inventories yur possessions and makes condition reports
- Sign the bill of lading (ensure that the phone and address is correct) and inventory and keep copies with you in your posession
- Lock windows, do last minute cleaning, turn off lights, turn off main water to house and take a final walk through after the movers have finished to be certain nothing has been left behind.
You're on your way to your NEW DESTINATION ...... ENJOY!!
Are you LOOKING FOR THE HOME OF YOUR DREAMS? Do you have a HOME TO SELL? The Temple Team can help you with all of your Real Estate Needs. Give us a call at 704-235-3000 and visit our webstie at www.TheTempleTeam.com.