Why do we accumulate so much stuff in our lives? Every year I try to declutter, clean out closets and rid my home of the clutter, old magazines, clothing that is either too small, too big, or out of style.
If you are thinking about selling your home, one of the first things that you should do is clean out your closets. I have collected some of My best home organizing tips on Pinterest.
Before you put your home on the market for sale, every closet needs to be cleaned out. That means every closet in your entire home, from the bedrooms, bathrooms, kitchen, kitchen drawers, the pantry, hall closets, and even the garage. Buyers will be looking in all of your closets. If they look overstuffed, they will most likely pass over your home because everyone wants more storage space. If your home looks like there isn't enough closet space, they will look for a more suitable home with more storage.
The first step is to remove everything from the closet. Paint the inside - a fresh coat of paint will make the closet look so much better and cleaner. Be extremely careful about what you put back in. Now would be a great time to sort through everything.
Once you make the decision to declutter, and rid yourself, your life, and your home of "stuff", why not DONATE your stuff to someone else that can use your "stuff", and above all, treasure & cherish it! Listed below are a list of charitable organizations that will gladly accept your donations.
If you are ready to take the plunge and purge, here is a list of organizations that would be happy to receive your unwanted items:
- ART SUPPLIES - Google: Creative Reuse Centers in your area
- AUTOMOBILES - www.Habitat.org/carsforhomes
- AUTOMOBILES - www.kidneycars.com
- APPLIANCES - www.freecycle.com and Goodwill, Salvation Army
- BABY CLOTHES - www.babiesinpoverty.org, www.carewear.org
- BABY BLANKETS, CHILDREN'S BOOKS, STUFFED ANIMALS - www.projectnightnight.org
- BLANKETS - www.projectlinus.org
- BLUE JEANS - www.cottonfrombluetogreen.org
- BOOKS - www.booksforafrica.org, Libraries, Hospitals
- CHILDREN'S BOOKS - www.childrensbookproject.org
- CLOTHING - www.amvets.com
- COMPUTERS - www.worldcomputerexchange.org
- CONSTRUCTION MATERIALS - www.planetreuse.com, www.habitatforhumanity.com
- EYEGLASSES - www.neweyesfortheneedy.org
- EXERCISE EQPT - Big Brothers, Big Sisters
- FURNITURE - www.freecycle.org
- FURNITURE - Big Brothers, Big Sisters, Goodwill, Salvation Army
- FURNITURE - www.amvets.com (will pick-up)
- HOUSEHOLD ITEMS - www.freecycle.com, Goodwill, Salvation Army
- LIGHT FIXTURES, GARDEN FURNITURE - www.planetreuse.com
- MAGAZINES - Libraries, Hospitals, Waiting Rooms
- MOBILE PHONES - www.flipswap.com
- MUSICAL INSTRUMENTS - www.mustcreate.org
- OFFICE SUPPLIES - www.iloveschools.com
- SHOES - www.soles4souls.org, www.shoesthatfit.org
- SPORTS EQUIPMENT - www.S4AF.org, or firstname.lastname@example.org
- STUFFED ANIMALS - www.stuffedanimalsforemergencies.org
- TECHNOLOGY STUFF - www.greendisk.com
- TOILETRIES/SAMPLES - www.cleantheworld.org
- TOYS - Hospitals, Women's Shelters
- USED CLOTHES - www.clothingdonations.org
- WEDDING DRESSES - www.bridesagainstbreastcancer.org
- Many local churches will accept used items
Now is a great time to get that house ready for the market, and declutter, donate, and recycle.
You will be happier... Your family will be happier.... Your Home AND Closets will be happier...Buyers will be happier too!
The charities and recipients of your donated items will be very happy! AND Your home will look so much cleaner and more spacious. A win win for everyone.