Kitchen Explosions & Glassware - something to blog about

By
Real Estate Broker/Owner with Jeri Creson, Realtor 0995689629 Louisiana

Sometimes along life's way, one experiences something so revealing, potentially life-changing and urgent that one feels inclined to tell others -  I find myself in that position today - and wanting my clients, my colleagues and the general public to know something that I found out the hard way two nights ago.  

 

It seems that there have been some stories, some studies and some information put out there in the great hum of information dissemination about the increasing occurances of late of both Pyrex branded, and other glass-look-a-like cookware exploding in kitchens - but I, personally had never heard of, nor experienced this phenomenon.   Maybe you, or your clients haven't either.   So here's my story: 

 

I was cooking a recipe for pork chops in a Pyrex brand glass baking dish - one that stated "safe for oven, microwave, dishwasher use."  This is the same in appearance, standard looking Pyrex dish that I watched my Mother bake in since I was knee high to a bullfrog.   This is a "baked and broiled" pork chop recipe - which is delicious, by the way, that I've prepared dozens of times without incident in the vary same dish.  

 

As I removed the porkchops from the oven, carried the pan over using oven mits to my stove and gently tipped the pan to allow the drippings to flow into a sauce pan below, for gravy preparation - BOOM - the entire glass pan exploded in my face, and shards of glass - some large and jagged, others small - but all equally sharp and dangerous scattered across the kitchen, some going as far as 15 feet away.   This pan of pork chops had turned, suddenly into a K.I.D. - Kitchen Incendiary Device!   Needless to say, I was scared.  My step daughter who had been sitting at the kitchen counter chatting with me had be sprayed with glass.  I had a shard hit the edge of my eye, and only by the Grace of God was my vision spared.  

 

During the process, I sustained burns from the food, small cuts from the glass, and a healthy dislike for glass cook ware in general.   It's important to note that at no time did this glassware touch a flame, touch the edge of the saucepan or experience anything other than a normal change in temperature from the oven to the ambient temperature of the room.   As far as I can tell, it was the motion of turning the heated pan sideways to drip the liquids that caused the violent explosion.   

 

I consider myself, and my step-daughter extremely lucky that worse injuries weren't sustained, as they were absolutely possible.    Imagine having your vision taken or a shard sharp enough to cut an artery, moving at projectile speed causing irreversible harm, over the desire to prepare a simple dinner?   Warned?  I truly hope so.   

 

Investigating this phenomenon afterwards, I came across paper published by American Ceramic Society Bulletin, Vol. 91, No. 7.   It seems that today's "Baking Glassware" from both Pyrex and others is not your "mother's bakeware" - the glass formula has been changed, and the glass that was touted as impervious to heat and safe to go from freezer to oven is not, in fact, that same formula.    Please read for yourself - I blog this, because I wish that I had seen this article before choosing glass bakeware - I am grateful to still have my vision, and minor injuries, but I know, but for a milimeter of chance, this story might have ended very differently.     Be safe out there! 

https://www3.nd.edu/~rroeder/ame60646/slides/glasscookware.pdf

close

This entry hasn't been re-blogged:

Re-Blogged By Re-Blogged At
Topic:
Local News and Events
Tags:
kitchen disasters
exploding pyrex

Post a Comment
Spam prevention
Spam prevention
Show All Comments
Rainmaker
2,423,878
Richie Alan Naggar
people first...then business Ran Right Realty - Riverside, CA
agent & author

Imagine if you lingered, knelt down, and wanted to smell it up close? My God!

Mar 04, 2016 11:28 PM #1
Rainmaker
2,702,854
John Pusa
Berkshire Hathaway Home Services Crest - Glendale, CA
Your All Time Realtor With Exceptional Service

Jeri Creson Very scary experience. Glad you doing okay now.

Mar 05, 2016 09:55 AM #2
Rainmaker
20,654
Jeri Creson
Jeri Creson, Realtor - Covington, LA
Dually Licensed Broker in Louisiana & California

Thank you!  

Mar 05, 2016 10:00 AM #3
Rainmaker
3,174,437
Endre Barath, Jr.
Berkshire Hathaway HomeServices - Beverly Hills, CA
Realtor - Los Angeles Home Sales 310.486.1002

Jeri I am so glad it did not get worse and you were somehow spared.... I have not used Pyrex in at least 25 plus years I made a casserole and the same thing happened... hence I said this is not an option anymore in my cooking... BTW I am a big fan of keeping people out of my kitchen when I am using the oven and anything that could splatter....Endre

Mar 08, 2016 01:47 PM #4
Rainmaker
20,654
Jeri Creson
Jeri Creson, Realtor - Covington, LA
Dually Licensed Broker in Louisiana & California

Thanks Endre! Wow, I had no idea this had been happening for so long! On the positive note, I did a Redo of that dinner tonight...in a ceramic casserole dish...it was a smash! So, you love to cook too? We should trade recipes!

Mar 08, 2016 02:01 PM #5
Post a Comment
Spam prevention
Show All Comments

What's the reason you're reporting this blog entry?

Are you sure you want to report this blog entry as spam?

Rainmaker
20,654

Jeri Creson

Dually Licensed Broker in Louisiana & California
Ask me a question
*
*
*
*
Spam prevention