Lots of parts of the country are experiencing the markets Realtors dream of....Buyers everywhere not only willing AND able to pay what a property is worth...but more importantly...ABLE to do it !
There are multiple offers...multiple counters, over asking offers...grateful letters that accompany offers...rent back options for Sellers...and the list continues for Buyers to be the ones chosen to get the house of their dreams. Some Buyers are stuck in the times of a Buyer's market ....wearing their "liitle pants" and forgetting that one of the "interesting things" about real estate is that times, prices, conditions...change ! Choosing an arbitrary price, adding inclusions that were not part of the listing, insisting on a closing date, offering little earnest money....have Sellers thinking that they will say "Bye" and not give the Buyers their opportunity to "Buy" their property. Everyone loses.
To be prepared in today's market ...means BIG Girl or BIG Boy pants are ON ! That means....
- A recent pre approval is in hand from a trusted lender who has a reputation for honoring closing dates and other deadlines established in a purchase contract
- Decide on your priorities...What are the features most important to you and give them priorties...the fireplace, attached garage, first floor laundry, finished lower level, formal dining room, a family and living room. What are you willing to update and what are "must haves".
- How flexible are you about a location ? Is it your goal to be X minutes/miles from work, stay or move to a specific school district, Have a high walk score, be close to a relative's home, live with or without a home owner's association.
- Know ALL the costs included in the purchase of a home which will include property taxes as well as the mortgage...research the taxes in one location versus another...you may find some significant differences.
- Be prepared to make a decision quickly ! Thinventory means that when ou snooze you lose...with fewer homes on the market if you do not choose to make the house you just saw for the first time today...your home...it may well be that by the time you finish your thought process...someone else will !
- Choose an agent who is experienced and knowledgable not only about the area,...but the mechanical aspects of the house...the warning signs that may be present that the emotional experience of buying camoflagues while you imagine spending holidays in the living room and ignore the water in the basement and the roof that needs replacement.
Be ready, be willing, be able to make a decision ....this purchase will be part of your memories for a lifetime...it represents one of the largest investments you will make in your life...Do your homework, have a great agent as an advisor....and Enjoy ! Put on those pants that are the right size for you...Big enough to get you the house of your dreams. Knowledge is power...It builds confidence in your decision to make good choices.
IF you or anyone you know is ready to make a decision to Sell or Buy real estate in southeastern Wisconsin...Call the Hansons...we are honored to be of service.