10 Things to Think On as a Seller. Home Not Selling? "Seller Stances" ♥
You need to sell your home in Idabel OK. It's not happening even though you've cleaned, dusted, washed windows, mowed the grass and even hired a real estate agent. A few buyers have looked at it, but no offers have been made except for that one that was half of what you're asking. It was such a lowball offer that it didn't even justify a response from you, it only made you mad. You really need to sell your home so what do you do?
There are plenty of articles and blog posts written about upgrading, painting, decluttering, staging, and lowering the price. I want to talk about a way of thinking. Now don't miss-take what I'm saying... a change in your way of thinking or a change in seller stance may actually lead to some of the painting, decluttering, staging, paining, repairs, or upgrading for some folks... if that's what needs to be the final outcome BUT it's not what I'm talking about today. What I want to visit with you about today is getting the right SELL ATTITUDE, the one that will help you get your home sold.
This is actually the first in a series on selling your home in Idabel Oklahoma. Other forth coming blog posts will list things that can help but each one of those will have more effect if it starts with a seller that has a GET IT SOLD ATTITUDE
If any of the following fit your thinking, then it may be time to change a tad in thinking in order to accomplish your goal because getting your home sold is like most things in life. It's a short time frame goal that needs to be met so that you can move on with the next goal.
1. Did you notice that I referred to your house as home in the above paragraphs. Is that way you think about it... as Your Home? Do you cringe to think that your real estate agent is going to have people in your home without you being there and those people are going to look in your drawers and closets, comment on your paint colors and flooring... maybe in a not so flattering way?
2. You've kept up with every receipt for money spent on the house and yard for the last 40 years. You know what you've got in it and with inflation, that amount is worth twice what you've spent. You want every penny back when you sell and maybe even a little more?
3. You know what it's going to cost to buy a decent house where you're moving to and you've got to net that much when you sell your house in Idabel OK so you can buy your new house with the proceeds.
4. You've heard rumors of what houses cabins are selling for near Broken Bow Lake and that's not that far away, you think someone should be willing to pay the same price per square foot for your house in Idabel that they would be willing to pay for a cabin near Broken Bow Lake Hochatown.
5. You've heard what the house sold for down on the corner near you. You want at least that much... I mean even their landscaping was newly established and you've got 20 year old crepe myrtles in your yard. You've never been in the house but it can't be a lot different from yours.
6. Your best friend told you that you should not sell for less than $XXX,000. He is sure it's worth at least that much. He has a friend that works in the bank and his friend told him that.
7. You really didn't want to hire a real estate agent so the buyer needs to pay enough for the house above market value so the real estate agent can be paid. After all, if a real estate agent is a good one, they should be able to sell it for more than it's worth.
8. You would not pay as much for the house as you are asking if you were a buyer.
9. You can always come down on price but you can't go up, so the house needs to be priced higher than market indicates.
10. It doesn't matter how long it stays on the market, it is what it is and the right person will come along at some point.
Did any of the above statements fit your current way of thinking? Let's discuss.
1. Please start thinking of your home as a house that needs to be sold. A house that was needed and no longer is needed. Wood, concrete, dry-wall, nails, screws, metal roof, windows. The memories that make it a home in your mind hopefully have been captured in photographs and family memories. As difficult as it is, it's time to think of it as a house for you that will become someone else's home. Thinking of it this way will help you to be objective and realistic in dealing with buyers walking around in your house, opening drawers, and looking in closets... Buyers need to view your house as one that might become their home. It's a house that you need or want to sell. Sellers should sell houses, buyers usually buy homes.
2. Money spent on any article whether it's a house or a car, is no indication of current value. Things often depreciate over time sometimes dependent upon condition and maintenance. There are so many factors that affect a house value including location, archecture, brick color and style, maintenance and condition, floor plan, interior dating, yard care, yard size, fencing, surrounding homes and their condition, etc etc... but what has been spent on the house can not be used to put current market value on the house. The market, what similar homes have been selling for in closest proximity, style, etc are the strongest indication of what your house will sell for. Stop thinking about that lavendar wallpaper that was such a pain to install and costed a fortune to have it installed because a current buyer is probably going to look at it as a liability... something that needs to redone and is going to cost them money to do so.
3. Value cannot be placed on an Idabel house by what a home is going to cost somewhere else. Apples and Oranges. Real Estate is location, more than anything else... Location, Location, Location. Some markets currently have a Sellers market, where multiple offers come in quickly on a house for sale and it often sells above list price. Some markets have Buyers markets where a house often sits on the market for some time before selling and then usually sells at something less than list price. Your real estate agent should work to get the highest price they can for your house so you can buy a home where you are moving. Your real estate agent in your new location should help you get the most value for your money in your new home. The market where you are moving to cannot dictate your Idabel house price. It just doesn't work that way.
4. See number 3 above. Location, location, location. Totally different market. Sometimes I wish it did, but it doesn't.
5. Rumors are not to be trusted. Your real estate agent is to be trusted to help you via comps to put a list price on your house for sale.
6. See number 5 above.
7. Market value is market value. Expecting a real estate to be able to sell a house for more than it's worth is unrealistic. Statistics indicate that sellers more often net more when they work with a real estate agent than when they sell on their own, even after paying the agent. NET more.
8. Sell explanatory.. no comment needed.
9. Getting the right price on a house for sale is crucial to minimal time on the market. An overpriced home usually languishes on the market. Many people that might be interested in your house for sale will not bother if it's overpriced.
10. Wrong. It does matter. The longer it stays on the market, the more people begin to wonder if something is wrong with it and it just grows stale like bread left out on the counter all week... people expect day old bread to be sold cheaper so buyers expect a home that's been on the market for an extended length of time to be ripe for a low-ball offer if they bother at all.
You need to sell your home in Idabel OK. It's not happening even though you've cleaned, dusted, washed windows, mowed the grass and even hired a real estate agent. A few buyers have looked at it, but no offers have been made except for that one that was half of what you're asking. It was such a lowball offer that it didn't even justify a response from you, it only made you mad. You really need to sell your home so think about seller stance first because seller stance or attitude will come out when you talk to people, when you're pricing it for sale, when it's time to replace the faulty faucet, when it's negotiation time, etc etc... right thinking... let's get this house sold!