These stuffed steak rolls somehow look both fun and sophisticated at all at once! These little things are packed with flavor--grilled onions and mushrooms, fresh baby spinach, and buttery provolone cheese all wrapped up in a savory steak spiral. And would you believe that they take less than 45 minutes to make? Believe it! All it takes is a few minutes of searing and the oven will take care of the rest. Pair it with a full-flavored Merlot and serve with a side of grilled asparagus and creamy mashed potatoes.
- 2 tablespoons canola oil, divided
- 3 tablespoons chopped garlic
- 2 sweet onions, chopped
- 2 cups mushrooms, thinly sliced
- ½ tablespoon kosher salt
- ½ tablespoon freshly ground black pepper
- 2 pounds flank steak
- Kosher salt
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 1 (4-ounce) package baby spinach
- 9 slices provolone cheese
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Heat one tablespoon of oil in a pan over medium-high heat. Combine garlic, onions, mushrooms, salt, and pepper in pan and cook until almost all of the moisture has evaporated and onions are caramelizing, 15–20 minutes. Remove from heat and set aside.
- Lay flank steak on a cutting board. Spoon mushroom and onion mixture on top, spreading it evenly across the steak. Sprinkle spinach on top, followed by slices of provolone. Press down lightly to compress the spinach. Starting at the bottom of the flank steak, roll it up tightly, making sure the grain of the meat is running horizontally. Use six toothpicks to secure steak roll. Slice the steak roll into six equal rolls.
- Heat remaining oil in a pan over high heat. Sear steak rolls on one side for one to two minutes, then flip. Sear second side for about one minute, then bake for 10–15 minutes, until medium rare.
- Remove toothpicks and serve.
Originally posted at: Lafayette Real Estate News