Homes should be in TOP SHOW CONDITION & ready for primetime, to sell more quickly in Scarsdale, NY 10583 in the northern suburbs.
This is just a fact: A clean and fresh smelling home sells faster. Unfortunately, not all homes are maintained in the same way. Nearly all realtors are faced with a listing that is more difficult to show, or smell quite frankly.
In restoration, we get called in for odors dating back four or more decades…like the 1960s. They can be old cigarette smells that are buried in the walls, ceilings and duct system for homes with central air.
Also, we get pet odor and cleanup calls for everything from multiple cats and floor or carpet stains and smells, to squirrels and other critters removed from an attic or crawl space. Always an adventure.
Veteran realtors may encourage their clients to keep their homes in top condition for important reasons – or at least get the home ready for photographers and an Open House or two. The reasons may be:
- Increased market value
- Shortened list to sale conversion times
- Enhanced reputation for quality listings and quicker sales
Pass more Home Inspections
Your sellers may have trouble spots to address before you list or a buyer schedules a home inspection. Clients may choose to handle these issues themselves, to avoid filing an insurance claim for an old water damage. Leaks and water can lead to mold growth in days, weeks or months.
Mold growth from a leak months or years ago may not be covered by their policy and can affect the home’s CLUE report.
This is their Comprehensive Loss Underwriting Exchange and is a database that records any reported loss and damage information.
Here’s more info to search on your browser.:
Control Moisture and Musty Odors – Reduce Mold Growth
Prior to listing a property, the following steps can be taken to reduce the potential for moisture buildup or mold growth.
If a home or listing has a storm or water damage, timely response is the key to preventing further damage and problems within days of the event – act fast, within the first 24 to 48 hours.
Here are some good first steps to addressing these issues, as your seller (hopefully) get's their house or condo/coop ready for primetime and buyers appointments:
- Correct any water leaks or standing water
- Plug in a dehumidifier in the affected area, to reduce moisture and prevent mold
- Remove standing water under cooling coils, boilers that leak, or air handling units
- Properly maintain humidifiers, if used during the winter or in baby’s room
- Replace wet or visibly “moldy” and stained insulation materials
- Steam cleaning and other methods involving moisture should not be used on any kind of duct work.
- Install a ventilation system and/or vent the basement, attic or wet area on cool, clear days for an hour or two.
At businesses like ours, realtors can get help with and offer their sellers a number of helpful services.
These may help revive your sellers’ homes and your listings -- that are found in top show condition. Some ideas to offer sellers, as needed, are:
- Carpet, upholstery, drapery and window blind cleaning (we also clean windows, while most maid services no longer clean interior windows).
Note: We do interiors only.
Restoration companies include the following services, so we can help you help your sellers get a buyer!
- Ceiling, wall and harwood / hard floor cleaning
- Deodorization & odor control
- Duct & HVAC Cleaning
- Mold & Mildew Mitigation & REmediation
- Asbestos Abatement & containment
- Lead Paint / repainting issues - We are NYS certified, as of January 1, 2016
Whether the problem is --a water stain on a hardwood floor, on walls or a mildew smell in the basement, or attic, or just post-construction cleanup for a new home --you can reassure your clients that you can get their home in top show condition and ready to sell.
Most restoration companies offer a free / complimentary walkthrough for a cleaning, deodorization and sanitizing estimate. Just be sure to “shop local” in Westchester, hire a local, family owned and be sure the teams in your home are certified, highly trained and background checked.
This way, you can get your buyers into their new dream home and/or sell a home for your fav client!
Good luck in what we hope is a hot Spring Realtor market in Scarsdale, Eastchester / Tuckahoe, Bronxville, Fleetwood and beyond!
~ Hillary Sheperd
Servpro of Scarsdale...