We're heading into our first long weekend of the Season and my mind is whirling with all the possibilities for picnics and lazy lunches on the deck. The first is always the best in my mind so I always look for something new and different to throw in with the traditional favourites!
There is something about this fresh Radish with Beet and Shrimp Salad that is just screaming at me!!! With so many varieties of Radish and Beets available now, you can go hog wild and add in whatever variety strikes your fancy (I took this photo at the market in Ottawa last year!)
. . . what you'll need is:
- 2 pounds peeled, large raw shrimp
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt, divided
- 3/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper, divided
- 4-ounces watermelon radish, cut into fourths and thinly sliced
- 4 ounces D'avignon radishes, thinly sliced
- 4 ounces of thinly sliced beets, I like candy cane these days!
- 4 green onions, sliced
1/2 cup diced fennel bulb
- 1/4 cup fresh orange juice
- 1 teaspoon honey
- 2 tablespoons mayonnaise
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh mint, plus a few sprigs for garnish
1. Pat dry shrimp and sauté in a very hot cast-iron grill pan over medium-high 4 minutes.
2. Combine shrimp, olive oil, 1/2 tsp. salt, 1/2 tsp. pepper, and next 5 ingredients in a large bowl.
3. Mix the orange juice, honey, mayo and mint and pour over salad. Garnish with extra sprigs of mint.