Planting a tree is easier than you think and what better way to celebrate Earth Day this year then by giving the environment around your new home the gift of new life. There are so many benefits to planting San Antonio trees from creating a home for wildlife to helping your children learn about how to nurture and care for trees, it’s something you will remember for years to come as you watch it grow. Here are five great reasons you and your family will want to find the perfect tree to plant this weekend.
1. Get a breath of fresh air. We all learned in school the benefits that trees have for absorbing carbon dioxide to produce oxygen, but they also help remove potentially harmful gases like carbon monoxide and sulfur dioxide as well. Trees moderate the effects of sun and wind, and they clean the air by trapping dust, pollen and other pollutants. And one large tree can produce enough oxygen for a day’s supply of O2 four people.
2. Cool off! Trees offer much needed shade from the Texas summer sun and in the shade it can be up to 6 degrees cooler, which is great for being outdoors and helping to protect your family from harmful UV rays. Your home also absorbs solar heat through windows and your roof, which can increase your cooling costs throughout the warmer months. A well-planned landscape with strategically placed native trees and other landscape cover which are ideal for the Central Texas climate can reduce a home’s air conditioning costs by 15-50 percent.
3. Grow a new habitat. Children love to see all of the different kinds of birds in the trees and hearing their sweet songs is often music to urban ears. Plant a tree that will attract some your favorite kinds of birds and provide them shelter for years to come. And the added benefit to attracting beautiful birds is their diet, they like to eat those pesky bugs that like get into your garden.
4. Add beauty and resale value. Not only is a beautifully landscaped yard pleasing to you and your family, but a well-planted property and its surrounding street and neighborhood can raise property values by as much as 15 percent. And whether you plan to stay in your home forever or eventually plan to move again, according to a study by the Arbor Day Foundation 83% of realtors indicate that mature trees have an impact on the salability of homes. Homes for sale in San Antonio are no exception.
5. Just relax. Everyone remembers sitting under a tree as a child and just enjoying the breeze, smelling the sweet scent of new blossoms and sampling the delicious fruit or nuts from Pecan, Peach, Plum or other trees. Landscapes that include trees improve our well-being, helping us to relax, reduce stress and give us nourishment.
With the increased pace that many of us live these days, planting a tree sounds like the perfect respite for your family this Earth Day and one that you can reap the rewards from for many years in your beautiful custom home by Sitterle Homes.