The park and fountain on Le Grande Drive in the Midway Meadows subdivision in Addison TX is about to get a makeover. Slade Strickland, the Director of Parks & Recreation for the Town of Addison has announced plans to revitalize the park and fountain. His goal is to immediately address areas that have little or no significant cost impact on the parks operations budget that can be accomplished by parks staff. These are as follows:
- Prune overhanging tree limbs that are interfering with the flags.
- Replace the torn flags.
- Remove the hollies immediately north of the flag poles to open up a view to the fountain from the street.
- Experiment with a different type of fountain nozzle that will elevate the spray configuration so it is visible from the street without reconfiguring the fountain at all.
- Remove old Photinia hedge east of the deck/bench area - leave existing Rose of Sharon tree west of removed shrubs.
- Re-stain/paint the fountain equipment storage building.
- Repair flagpole uplights.
- Raise the canopies of shade trees and the tree-form yaupon holly on the east side of the island.
The items above will be completed by May 30.
Items that will require approval during the upcoming 2008-2009 budget process include:
- Reconfigure/expand the wood decking around the fountain area, but leave footprint of existing deck.
- Eliminate the fountain pool and consider a more ornate type of fountain.
- Provide at least 7 additional park benches.
- Remove the old exposed aggregate paving and replace with new decorative paving.
- Relocate the existing Foster Holly trees on the south side of the fountain to make room for an expanded walkway and park bench seating area.
- Provide up and down tree lighting to mimic the lighting system on Sherlock and Beltway/Proton Drives.
- Re-contour the berm in front of the flag poles to open up the view to the fountain.
- Upgrade the landscaping throughout the area.
These improvements require funding approval during the upcoming budget process. If approved, the work can begin October 1, 2008.
Since the fountain can be seen from the entrance to Midway Meadows, this will be a major improvement for the community and the Addison Timbers HOA members.