AVALON’S BEACHES are now ready to go for the summer season after a major sand backpassing project was completed last weekend. 55,000 cubic yards of sand were scraped from the 32nd to 38th Street beaches and moved to north-end beaches to replenish them. Erosion from winter storms had moved the sand southward; the backpassing project returned it to its point of origin. Rather than put the project out for bid, the work was performed by the Avalon Department of Public Works, which rented heavy equipment for the job. A major beachfill project is anticipated prior to the 2017 season.
THE HEREFORD INLET LIGHTHOUSE MARITIME FESTIVAL takes place this Saturday & Sunday at 111 N. Central Avenue in North Wildwood. The festival will feature music, food, crafts, historians, and tours of the lighthouse, while celebrating South Jersey’s maritime history. The Hereford Inlet Lighthouse is still in operation, and its light is visible at night from many areas of Avalon & Stone Harbor.
OTHER MAJOR WEEKEND EVENTS include an Open House at Avalon’s Public Library, and Sea Isle City’s Skimmer Festival. For something a little different, try a “Full Moon Climb” at the Cape May Lighthouse on Monday evening, June 20th!
$832 PER POUND! That’s what a prize-winning 212-pound mako shark was worth in the recent South Jersey Shark Tournament. The mako, caught by a crew of sport fishermen from New York, won $176,414 in prize money! Whether you’re looking to catch a big mako shark, or something a bit more modest, seek advice (and bait!) from local tackle shops, including Smuggler’s Cove in Stone Harbor, or Moran’s Dockside and Avalon Hodge Podge in Avalon.
ROAD CONSTRUCTION, detours, and delays are often part of getting to the Shore on busy summer weekends. But the next time you grumble about road construction slowing your trip, consider the early options for reaching your favorite Island…see below for a look at how everybody got here a hundred years ago!
|The way visitors used to get to the Island! This view of 96th Street, looking east, shows an early Stone Harbor Railroad train. Another rail line ran down the middle of Second Avenue (Dune Drive) from Avalon.|
3.83 PERCENT! That’s the average rate for conforming loans of $417,000 and below. Jumbo loans over $417,000 are a bit less, averaging 3.81% according to data from the Mortgage Bankers Association. It’s a fantastic time to take advantage of low rates, whether purchasing a shore home, or refinancing your primary residence. Whether you’re ready to get started with a purchase, or simply need a recommendation on a good mortgage lender, please call me!
NEXT WEEK, watch for our list of July 4th events to enjoy!
- Stone Harbor’s Chelsea Place Park, grand re-opening, 9:30AM, Friday, June 17
- Avalon Performing Arts Council 29th Annual Art Show & Sale, opening night & preview from 7-9PM on Friday, June 17, show & sale from10AM-4PM on Saturday, June 18
- Avalon Free Public Library Open House, games, crafts, food, face painting, more, 9AM-1PM, Saturday, June 18
- Hereford Inlet Lighthouse Maritime Festival, artists, crafters, authors, food, music, more, 111 N. Central Avenue, North Wildwood, 10AM-5PM on Saturday, June 18 & 10AM-4PM on Sunday, June 19
- Avalon Historical Society Olde House Tour, 1-4PM, Saturday, June 18
- Sea Isle City’s Skimmer Weekend, food, crafts, live music, family activities, more, Saturday & Sunday, June 18 & 19
- Stone Harbor Farmers Market, 95th Street Water Tower Plaza, 8AM-12:30PM, Sunday, June 19
- Stone Harbor Bird Sanctuary Tour led by a Wetlands Institute docent, meet at the Egret Espy Path at 114th Street & 2nd Avenue, 10AM,Sunday, June 19
- Cape May County Zoo Giraffe Day, giraffe related programs, activities & zookeeper talks, 10AM-3PM, Sunday, June 19
- St. Mary’s Episcopal Church Strawberry Festival, 6:30-8:30PM, Sunday, June 19
- Cape May Lighthouse Full Moon Climb, 8-10PM, Monday, June 20
- Avalon History Center Trivia Night, 7PM, Wednesday, June 22
- Cape May County Zoo Night Out with the Critters, BBQ dinner & behind the scenes look at the animals, 5:30-8:30PM, Friday, June 24
- Stone Harbor Farmers Market, 95th Street Water Tower Plaza, 8AM-12:30PM, Sunday, June 26
- Stone Harbor Family Night, family fun, check out the fire trucks, more, Stone Harbor Firehouse, 7PM. Monday, June 27
- Avalon’s Children’s Mini Event featuring ventriloquist Bob Conrad, Avalon Elementary School Gymnasium, 11AM, Tuesday, June 28
- Avalon’s Big Beach Movie featuring Cinderella, 30th Street beach, dusk, Tuesday, June 28
- On the Way to Cape May historic lecture, Avalon History Center, 7PM, Wednesday, June 29
- Stone Harbor Movie Night on the Lawn featuring Open Season: Scared Silly, Stone Harbor Elementary School, 8PM, Wednesday, June 29
- Thursdays on Dune Concert featuring 63rd Army Band, Veteran’s Plaza, 7PM, Thursday, June 30
- Stone Harbor’s Tuesday at the Tower featuring the Mighty Parrot Band, 95th Street Water Tower Plaza, 7-8:30PM, Tuesday, July 5
Featured Property: Bayfront, with a dock and easy inlet access!
494 Avalon Boulevard, Avalon Manor, $545,000, ACTIVE MLS#: 167951
8300 Second Avenue, Stone Harbor, $599,000, ACTIVE MLS#: 170762
2438 Ocean Drive, Avalon, $1,369,000, ACTIVE MLS#: 170722
160 84th Street, Stone Harbor, $1,395,000, ACTIVE MLS#: 170684
261 83rd Street, Stone Harbor, $1,479,000, ACTIVE MLS#: 170711
238 47th Street, Avalon, $1,595,000, ACTIVE MLS#: 170678
46 W 22nd Street, Avalon, $1,699,000, ACTIVE MLS#: 170757
9801 First Ave, Stone Harbor, $1,895,000, ACTIVE MLS#: 170675
62 W 32nd Street, Avalon, $2,895,000, ACTIVE MLS#: 170741
3283 Dune Drive, Avalon, $235,000, SOLD MLS#: 170272
317 83rd Street, Stone Harbor, $479,500, SOLD MLS#: 169048
10800 Third Avenue, Stone Harbor, $510,000, SOLD MLS#: 167559
404 24th Street, Avalon, $974,999, SOLD MLS#: 170676
231 122nd Street, Stone Harbor, $2,000,000, SOLD MLS#: 166606
167 93rd Street, Stone Harbor, $2,250,000, SOLD MLS#: 164023
Buying or Selling a home in Stone Harbor or Avalon, or if you need a Summer Rental, it would be my pleasure to help you with your Real Estate needs. Have a question about a Stone Harbor or Avalon homes or want to talk about selling yours?
You can reach me by e~mail me at Nancy@NancyMAlexander.com
Please Like my Facebook Page:
Nancy M. Alexander Stone Harbor and Avalon NJ Real Estate