Prevent your home from being a target to theives this summer! You might think that crime prevention is the same year round, but the warmer months present a few challenges! Make sure to secure your home during the summer months!. The Bureau of Justice Statistics show a rise in household property crimes during the summertime, likely due to open windows, doors, and garages. We got some great information from Lane County Sheriff's Office, they have a few tips to help you keep your property and home safe in the summer months:
- Close and lock windows and doors when you aren't home.
- Don't leave your window open at night, invest in an air conditoner. No one wants an uninvited guest to crawl through the window at night.
- Roll up car windows & lock car doors, even if you are only leave your car for a moment. Don't make it easy for thieves to take your stuff!
- Close your garage door when you go inside the house or are unable to see your garage. Many thieves will use an unattended open garage door to access your house or steal items in the garage.
- Lock up garden tools, lawn mowers, ladders, & other home maintenance equipment that could be stolen or used to assist in accessing your house.
- Keep bushes and trees around doors and windows trimmed so they don't create hiding places for thieves.
- Report suspicious activity & crime to your local law enforcement agency.
If you are traveling during the summer, make sure to have your mail and paper held. Having them pile up on your front porch is a good heads up that no one is home!
Jan Sohlman has been selling real estate for over 30 years in Lane County! Call someone who knows the real estate market!