The following information provides the tax rates for the Maui County Real Property Taxes. This information is intended to assist in making your real estate endeavor a smooth and successful one. These are the rates for the July 1, 2016 through June 30, 2017 real property taxes with the County tax office. To calculate, go to www.mauipropertytax.com, search property address, click on 2016 assessment.
If you own and occupy your property as your principal residence on December 31st of the preceding tax year, you may be eligible for a homeowner exemption of up to $200,000. Homeowners must apply for a homeowner exemption by filing a claim form. The deadline for filing exemption claims and ownership documents is December 31 of the same calendar year. The first half of the fiscal year taxes will be mailed by July 20 and due by August 20. The second half of the fiscal year taxes will be mailed by January 20 and due by February 20.
The real property tax rates per one thousand dollars of net taxable assessed valuation for each class of real property is set as follows:
|CLASSIFICATION||TYPE OF BUILDING||LAND||BUILDING|
|G||Hotel & Resort||8.71||8.71|
- Property is classified based upon its highest and best use.
- Properties receiving homeowner exemptions, condominiums, permitted bed and breakfasts and permitted transient vacation rentals are exceptions.
- Properties which have been granted a homeowner exemption are classified as Homeowner.
- Condominiums are classified upon consideration of their actual use (Apartment, Commercial, Hotel / Resort, Timeshare, Homeowner).
- Properties which have been granted a bed and breakfast permit, a transient vacation rental permit, or a conditional permit to operate a transient vacation rental are classified as Commercialized Residential.