PHOENIX REAL ESTATE LET’S REVIEW FAIR HOUSING LAWS
Fair Housing regulation is very important in real estate because it protects buyers and sellers. Congress passed five major Acts of Congress to be known as the Fair Housing Laws. I would advise to check with your state, county and local laws because some of them have enhanced the fair housing laws depending on where you live in America.
- Protections at the Federal Level: Age, color, disability, familial and marital status, national origin, public assistance, race, religion, and sex. We learned this in obtaining our real estate license. We always need reminders so that we stay fresh.
- Protections at the State and Local Level: People are protected on their sexual preference and ancestry. People are further protected against disability both physical and mental. Finally, people are protected based on military status.
- Steering: Homebuyers and renters can look for real estate anywhere in their local community. It is wrong for a Realtor to imply neighborhoods to buyers or renters based upon their Age, color, disability, familial and marital status, national origin, public assistance, race, religion, and sex.
- Discrimination: This happens when a REALTOR mistreats a person in one of the protected classes as mention in #1.
- Blockbusting: This happens when a Realtor suggests to home owners not to rent or sell to a person in of the protected classes because it would lower property values. This is against the law.
All complaints can be filed with the Fair Housing and Equal Opportunity office. This is a department of Department of Housing and Urban Development. Please feel free to visit the following link for further information http://www.hud.gov/offices/fheo/.