This Blog was first published by Emory Decatur Property Management on 7/4/2016
You may need a little assistance in managing your Emory area investment home or Decatur property – particularly if you have moved away from the Atlanta area.
Some investors and owners do successfully manage their own properties. An experienced Decatur property manager, however, can save you many headaches, like those calls in the middle of the night to syfon water out of a flooded basement or an alarm going off that your tenant can’t locate. Tenants have called me recently for both of these issues and they need to be handled quickly.
Managing property for other people requires special skills:
- A very thick skin helps -a property manager acts as a Mediator between the Owner and the Tenant
- Organization is essential – must be able to set priorities and use follow-up systems
- Good accounting systems and payment systems
- A Dedicated Trust Account – regularly balanced
- The ability to check credit, background and references
- Preparation of Leases, Amendments, Move In/Move Our Agreements
- Great Handymen, Painters, Electricians, etc. – know who to call
A good Property Manager can:
- Make sure the Heating and Air Conditioning are regularly serviced
- Make regular inspections of your property
- Arrange to have a leak repaired or a garbage disposal installed
- Supervise repairs that often need to be done when a tenant moves out and another moves in
- Keep you informed of conditions that affect your property
If you are managing your own property or inherited a home you would like to lease in the Decatur or Emory area, consider hiring a professional Property Manager.