If you were lucky enough to move into a new home recently then you need to know a few things that you should strive to accomplish soon after the move. These things will get you set in the right direction for being comfortable in your new home for years to come. A few of these ideas are listed below.
- Be sure to take pictures of each room in your new home before moving in. Sometimes the inspection takes place and then the previous owners come back to get a few last items of theirs moved out. You never know, especially if the previous owners were forced to move due to a short sale, what they may have done to the house. Take pictures before you move your furniture inside. This way if any damage has occurred you will have full documentation of it and may be able to get things fixed more easily.
- If you hire a moving company to move your belongings from one house to the other you will want to check all of your belongings to make sure there was no damage done to anything during the move. You should have liability coverage in your moving contract and if that is the case if any damage occurs and you document the damage you should be able to get reimbursed for that.
- One of the most important things to accomplish as soon as you move into a new home is to change the locks. You have no way of knowing how many folks have a key to your home from the previous owners and you surely don’t want to worry about someone being able to get inside of your home without your knowledge. Get this task done right away.
- If you want to make the home have a nice new feel, painting is a great way to do that. Painting an empty house is much easier than having to move the furniture around later.
- If you are a registered voter and you have recently moved into a new home that is in a different county, you will want to change your voter registration right away. It’s not a good feeling to be turned away at the polls because your address is incorrect.
These are just a few ideas of things you should strive to accomplish soon after moving into a new home. Hopefully they will be of some help to you and yours.
Courtesy of Greenville NC Real Estate Expert Liz Freeman.