LOU BACHMAN, long-time proprietor of Smuggler’s Cove in Stone Harbor, passed away last week, at the age of 88. Generations of Stone Harbor fishermen and crabbers remember Lou fondly. Whether you needed bait, a rod or reel repair, advice on how to catch fish, or just a cup of coffee on a rainy morning, a visit to Lou was in order. Lou was a well-known icon throughout the community, having been a “local” since the early 1970s. Several years ago Stone Harbor’s “North Basin” was officially renamed “Smuggler’s Cove” indicative of the influence Lou and his tackle shop have had on the town. Visitation will be held from 10am to noon Saturday at Our Saviour Lutheran Church, at 93rd and Third Avenue in Stone Harbor, with a memorial service to follow. After the memorial service friends will gather on the dock at Smuggler’s Cove to share memories of Lou.
A WAYWARD DOLPHIN was rescued from a small creek off Delaware Bay, near West Hand Avenue in Middle Township on Sunday. The 400 lb. dolphin likely entered the creek at high tide while searching for food. After being rescued it was examined and found to be healthy, and was then released into Delaware Bay.
The US Air Force Thunderbirds will return to Atlantic City for the first time since 2014.
THE US AIR FORCE THUNDERBIRDS will return to Atlantic City on Wednesday, August 17th, for the annual Atlantic City Air Show. The air show, which can be seen anywhere on the Atlantic City beach or boardwalk, is said to be the largest on the east coast aside from Fort Lauderdale, and features numerous jets, vintage aircraft, and other aerial demonstrations. Last year’s show took place in early September and was centered around the US Navy Blue Angels. Decreased attendance due to the September date lead to the change back to the show’s traditional August date.
PERSEIDS “OUTBURST”: Early August brings the annual Perseid meteor shower, and 2016 is predicted by NASA to be an “outburst year”, with up to 200 meteors visible per hour Wednesdayand Thursday. South Jersey’s pinelands and beaches are some of the best viewing areas, so long as the skies are clear enough.
WHITE MARLIN are showing up in the canyon waters off the New Jersey coast, about 65 miles from shore. Gulfstream water as warm as 82 degrees has been reported, making for near ideal fishing conditions. If you don’t have your own offshore-capable boat, charters can be arranged, including daytrips or “overnighters.” For those who wish to stay a bit closer to home, flounder are still being caught in the bay and inlet.
A SECTION OF OCEAN DRIVE will be closed over the next several days for an emergency sewer main repair. Ocean Drive will be closed in both directions from 38th Street to 42nd Street beginning Wednesday, August 10th. The street will reopen for the weekend, then will be closed again Monday, August 15th. Repairs are expected to be finished on or before Friday August 19th.
- Avalon’s Thursdays on Dune Concert featuring Jersey Sound, Veteran’s Plaza in Avalon, 7PM, Thursday, August 11
- Thursdays on the Lawn Concert featuring Jim Bannach, St. Mary’s Episcopal Church in Stone Harbor, 7:30PM, Thursday, August 11
- South Jersey Lifeguard Championship Races, Avalon, 6:30PM, Friday, August 12
- Stone Harbor American Legion Post #331 Pancake Breakfast, Stephen Ludlam Post at the NW corner of 117th Street & Second Avenue, 8AM, Saturday, August 13
- Avalon Home & Land Owners Association Annual Meeting, Avalon Mayor Martin Pagliughi is the featured speaker, Avalon Community Hall, 9:30AM, Saturday, August 13
- Stone Harbor Bird Sanctuary Tour led by a Wetlands Institute docent, meet at the Egret Espy Trail entrance at 114th Street & Second Avenue, 10AM, Saturday & Sunday, August 13 & 14
- Bay Atlantic Symphony Concert, Avalon Elementary School, 7PM, Saturday, August 13
- Stone Harbor Surf & Turf 5 Miler, Stone Harbor Recreation Field, registration at 6:45AM, race starts at 8AM, Sunday, August 14
- Stone Harbor Farmer’s Market, 95th Street Water Tower Plaza, 8AM-12:30PM, Sunday, August 14
- Cape May Traditional Jazz Society Presents The Atlantic City Jazz Band, proceeds donated to the Food Bank of Southern Jersey, VFW Post #386 at 419 Congress Street in Cape May,2PM, Sunday, August 14
- Stone Harbor’s Family Night featuring the Wetlands Institute: Sea Creatures with Amazing Features, Stone Harbor Fire House, 7PM, Monday, August 15
- Stone Harbor’s Tuesdays at the Tower featuring Eddie Morgan & Rebirth, 95th Street Water Tower Plaza, 7PM, Tuesday, August 16
- Avalon’s Big Beach Movie featuring Pan, 30th Street & the beach, dusk, Tuesday, August 16
- Stone Harbor Family Movie Night on the Lawn featuring Despicable Me, Stone Harbor Elementary School, 8PM, Wednesday, August 17
- Avalon’s Thursdays on Dune Concert featuring The Star Band, Veteran’s Plaza in Avalon, 7PM, Thursday, August 18
- Cape May Lighthouse Full Moon Climb, call 609-884-5404 for info, Thursday, August 18
- Stone Harbor’s Family Night featuring Steve Serwatka’s New Jersey Nature Animal Show, Stone Harbor Fire House, 7PM, Monday, August 22
- Stone Harbor’s Sidewalk Sale, downtown shopping district, 9AM-7PM, Saturday, August 27
Convenient to several restaurants and Avalon’s south-end beaches!
280 79th Street, Avalon, $599,000, ACTIVE MLS#: 171282
8001 Second Ave, Stone Harbor, $539,000, ACTIVE MLS#: 171607
295 78th Street, Avalon, $599,000, ACTIVE MLS#: 171604
E27 Stone Court, Stone Harbor, $649,999, ACTIVE MLS#: 171629
283 26th Street, Avalon, $725,000, ACTIVE MLS#: 171590
10104 North Sunrise Drive, Stone Harbor, $891,000, ACTIVE MLS#: 171680
360 89th Street, Stone Harbor, $1,099,000, ACTIVE MLS#: 171613
612 21st Street, Avalon, $1,199,000, ACTIVE MLS#: 171599
288 85 Street, Stone Harbor, $1,295,000, ACTIVE MLS#: 171575
2928 Ocean Drive, Avalon, $1,299,000, ACTIVE MLS#: 171678
122 84th Street, Stone Harbor, $2,295,000, ACTIVE MLS#: 171697
7354 Ocean Drive, Avalon, $3,495,000, ACTIVE MLS#: 171646
6902 Ocean Drive, Avalon, $4,400,000, ACTIVE MLS#: 171624
628 21st Street 2nd floor, Avalon, $455,000, SOLD MLS#: 166840
700 First Avenue, Avalon, $490,000, SOLD MLS#: 170561
237 44th Street, Avalon, $972,000, SOLD MLS#: 168770
115 120th Street, Stone Harbor, $2,100,000, SOLD MLS#: 165421
26 E 25th Street, Avalon, $2,575,000, SOLD MLS#: 164438