Here’s my top 10 list of what I have experienced from less than perfect agents:
- No show, forgot about the appointment.
- Away on vacation, passed it on to another associate who did not get the sticky note.
- Late. Sure they know about the inspection but their time is money and my time not so much.
- Can’t find the lockbox, doesn’t know the combination.
- No keys to the locked-off suite or garage or the padlock on the door to the crawl space.
- Pets not contained or not aware of. Cat wants to escape. Dog wants a piece of me.
- Tenant knows nothing about it and wants 24 hours’ notice when I arrive.
- Asks if I can be done in an hour as they have another appointment across town.
- Cautions me with stories of other inspectors who soured their deals.
- Realtor went to the wrong address to open up the property. Really!
My preparation includes emailing the realtor this link http://ekan.biz/preparation in advance of any inspection. From my first-hand experience, the best realtors are as professional with home inspectors as they are with their clients.
OK now I'm ready for the sequal..."How To Be An Awful Home Inspector (Realtor's Point-of-View)"