This is what caught my eye in Today's History for Wednesday September 7th.
- 1822 Brazil declared its independence from Portugal.
- 1888 An incubator is used for the first time on a premature infant.
- 1949 Gloria Gaynor, Grammy Award–winning singer ("I Will Survive") was born
- 1954 Integration of public schools begins in Washington D.C. and Maryland
- 1957 Elvis finished recording seasonal tracks for a forthcoming Christmas album.
- 1971 "The Beverly Hillbillies" was seen for the final time on CBS-TV.
- 1979 The Entertainment and Sports Programming Network (ESPN) made its debut on cable TV.
- 1986 Dan Marino of the Miami Dolphins threw his 100th career touchdown pass, in only his 44th NFL game, which set a NFL record.
- 1988 Michael Jackson won the Video Vanguard award at the fifth annual MTV Vidoe Music Awards.
- 2008 US Government assumes conservatorship of Fannie Mae and Freddie Mac, the country's two largest mortgage financing companies, during the subprime mortgage crisis.
Enjoy the rest of your week!