Fork in the road (metaphor), to make a decision.
Here's a simple guide to determining if you need a home inspection or not.
Yes!... to a home inspection:
- In the best interest of a first-time or non-technical buyer
- Third party objectivity
- Informs on probability of failure in systems and components
- Lists needed major repairs and timelines
- Supplements an incomplete disclosure statement
- Identifies conditions detrimental to the property
No!... to a home inspection:
- Not willing to have a "looser" offer with competitive bidding
- Not accepting offers with conditions
- No time for an inspection
- Not mandatory
- Lot value only
There is no wrong way here. It all depends on available resources (bankroll, renovation skills, redevelopment plans, expertise, contacts). The less resources available to a buyer the more caution needed.