Today is National Cat Day ~ which means it's a great day for all cat lovers to wish their cats a happy day and to tell and show them just how much they are loved and appreciated and how much joy and comfort they bring to our lives.
National Cat Day was founded in 2005 by animal welfare advocate Colleen Paige "to help galvanize the public to recognize the number of cats needing rescue, as well as to encourage cat lovers to celebrate the cat(s) in their lives for the unconditional love and companionship they bestow upon us." Colleen Paige's message continues to be that of "adopt, don't shop." And that's also why #1 on my list of 15 Ways To Celebrate National Cat Day below is "adopt a cat from your local shelter and give it a fur-ever home."
1. Adopt a cat (or two) from your local shelter or cat rescue and give it a "fur-ever" home.
2. Donate blankets, food and toys to your local shelter or cat rescue organization.
3. Volunteer at your local pet shelter.
4. Write your Congressman and ask that he/she support the ban of kitten mills and gas chambers in your state.
5. Bake tuna cookies for your cat.
6. Have a safety check of your home to make sure it's safe for your cat.
7. Spend the day taking photos of your cat and posting them on your Facebook page.
8. Assist an ill or elderly neighbor by cleaning their cat’s litter box and playing with their cat.
9. Commission a custom portrait painted of your cat or hire a pet photographer for a photo shoot.
10. Buy your cat a fun new toy, bed or treats!
11. Make a window perch for your cat to lay in the sun.
12. Brush your cat to eliminate excess fur and hairballs and while you're at it, give your cat a calming massage.
13. Paint your face, wear kitty ears or dress in cat related fashion.
14. Buy your cat a collar and tag with your name and number so it's easy to identify your cat just in case he/she "escapes."
15. Host a National Cat Day party and invite all your friends and their cats!
My Favorite Quotes About Cats:
What greater gift than the love of a cat? ~ Charles Dickens
I really am a cat transformed into a woman. ~ Brigitte Bardot
My husband said it was him or the cat... I miss him sometimes. ~ Anonymous
A cat has absolute emotional honesty. ~ Ernest Hemingway
People that hate cats will come back as mice in their next life! ~ Faith Resnick
Time spent with a cat is never wasted. ~ Colette
Way down deep, we’re all motivated by the same urges. Cats have the courage to live by them. ~ Jim Davis
Cats choose us; we don’t own them. ~ Kristin Cast
So from me and my cat, Oliver, who also likes to celebrate National Cat Day every day, to all my fellow cat lovers: Happy National Cat Day!
This information about National Cat Day is brought to you courtesy of Nina Hollander and Carolinas Realty Partners, RE/MAX Executive Realty, your Charlotte metro area real estate consultants.
If you are considering purchasing or selling a home in the Charlotte metro area, I would love an opportunity to earn your business, exceed your expectations, and to prove to you that
"The Right Broker Makes All The Difference."
"Love Cats Image courtesy of Stuart Miles at FreeDigitalPhotos.net