If you plan to lease a property in the Emory Area or in Decatur, you should know what may be expected before you complete an application to rent a home.
Finding the right home in the Emory Area where you want to live is an obvious first step, but prospective tenants often have to pass stringent credit and background checks. In popular neighborhoods where rental properties are at a premium, there may be tough competition for a desirable home. It's best to be prepared in advance:
Check your credit - most credit companies allow you to have one free credit check per year. Here are the phone numbers for the major credit card companies:
Equifax - Customer Service - 866-640-2273
Experian - Customer Service - 888-397-3742
TransUnion - Customer Service - 855-681-3196
- While it is always advisable to see a rental property before you decide to lease, this may not be possible if you live out of town. In this case, arrange to have a colleague or friend view it for you.
Don't lie on the Application - if you have had bankruptcy, credit issues, or disputes with previous landlords, discuss these with your Decatur Property Manager. Some landlords are more lenient than others.
- If you have Pets, let the Property Manager know before you fill out the Application. Many landlords do not accept pets, or may require a Pet Deposit if they do accept them.
- If you want to be in a certain School District, check with the School yourself to make sure the property you want to lease is located in that District.
- If you are concerned about safety in the neighborhood of the rental property, call the local Police Department.
- You will be required to complete a Rental Application for most properties. Some Property Managers also require a copy of your Driver's License, recent pay stubs, or bank statements if you are self-employed. Check with your Decatur Property Manager for more specific details.
Be aware of money requirements - Most Property Managers require a Security Deposit of one month, plus the first month's rent. Some landlords require a Security Deposit plus first and last month's rent. In addition, if the landlord accepts Pets, there will be an additional Pet Deposit.
- Published on 12/8/16 by EmoryDecaturPropertyManagement.