Navigating Through the Home Buying Process:
Are you thinking about buying a home and you're not sure where to start?
Has it been a long time since you purchased a home? Or perhaps you are curious about the steps you will need to take to buy your first home. Have no fear! A good real estate agent will walk you through the entire process.
The Stephanie Coats Team, Eugene Home Group, is a 5-person real estate firm with Eugene and Springfield Oregon's Keller Williams Realty. Stephanie Coats, Lead Listing Agent and Principal Broker, specializes in helping first time home buyers realize their dream of home ownership! She knows what questions to ask to ensure all of their needs are met, and she anticipates their own home buying questions by providing a step-by-step run down of what to expect when buying a home.
1) Meet with your Real Estate Agent to analyze your needs: Your Realtor should be knowledgeable about the area you are wanting to live, what types of loan programs might be available to you, and price ranges of homes in your area.
2) Obtain financial pre-approval if you aren't paying cash: Your Realtor will have recommendations for a trustworthy local lender, and they can help arrange a quick meeting to talk about your eligibility for a home loan.
3) Select and view properties: This is the fun part, and it's a combination of both your Realtors' and your efforts. Send your Realtor a list of homes you would like to see and your availability to see them when you're ready to start looking.
4) Make an offer -Negotiations/Counter offers: Your Realtor will help you write (and understand) your offer, and will fight for you to get the best deal.
5) Inspections: It is always a good idea to know everything about what you are potentially purchasing, so a Whole House Inspection and a Pest and Dry Rot Inspection are recommended in Lane County, Oregon.
6) 2nd round of negotiations: Should your inspector find anything alarming during the inspection, you can ask for repairs.
7) Complete mortgage application: Your lender will need lots of paperwork filled out in order to get your home loan approved.
8) Appraisal: Your lender will order the appraisal on the home you are buying to help ensure that the amount of money you are paying for it (or the amount of money the mortgage company is paying for it) is in fact, what the home is worth.
9) Preliminary Title report / Title Insurance: In Oregon, a Title and Escrow Company will be working with your Realtor, lender and you to verify that there are no liens or encumbrances on the real estate you are buying.
10) Underwriting / Final loan approval: Your escrow company and mortgage company will ensure their time lines for closing match and that your loan is approved and ready to go.
11) Closing: In Oregon, you will sign your loan documents at the Title and Escrow Company, and they will record the deed with the county (usually the next business day)
12) Take possession of your new home! Once the deed is recorded with the county, you own your home and may take possession!