If you have hunks of "block" styrofoam left over from holiday presents you can now recycle them in Wilmette through a special short-term program. This type of styrofoam is used in packing appliances and other fragile goods and cannot be otherwise recycled in Wilmette.
This recycling program has started and will continue through January 9, 2017.
The styrofoam will be taken to ABT Electronics im Glenview where they will process it through a special machine. The reconsistituted product is then sold to plastics manufacturers. Total recycling and reuse!
The recycling effort is offered through Go Green Wilmette and the Wilmette Public Works department through January 9 at one of four locations.
There are several provisions to keep in mind:
- please only drop off white "block" type of styrofoam
- no loose "peanut" packing - these can be dropped of at a UPS store
- no "clam shell" style food containers - cleaned ones can be accepted through the regular curbside recycling
The four Wilmette locations are:
- 1139 Manor Drive - please leave styrofoam on the front porch from 9am to 7pm (all days)
- 715 Linden Avenue - leave styrofoam on the front porch from 9am to 7pm (all days)
- 2024 Greenwood Avenue - leave styrofoam behind home from 9am to 5pm (M-F)
- Public Works Facility at 711 Laramie - drop off styrofoam in the office from 7am to 3pm (M-F)