Finest White Pine Forests in the World; Menominee County, Wisconsin.
“Start with the rising sun and work toward the setting
sun, but take only the mature trees, the sick trees, and the trees that have fallen. When you reach the end of the reservation, turn and cut from the setting sun to the rising sun and the trees will last forever”. Chief Oshkosh
Menominee County is known far and wide as the place where White Pine is king.
Foresters come here for tours on how to raise this magnificent giant of the climax forest.
The White Pine along with the Sugar Maple are what all of our forests would be if forest succession were allowed to follow her natural course.
And the people of Menominee have spent hundreds of years maintaining this climax forest in this small but industrious county.
They don't do this via preservation, but rather through intense management of the forest, pushing succession forward in their climax forests and holding it back a bit in the forests that are best managed for wildlife habitat.
It is a great place to raise timber and wildlife yet you will not find any people anxious to buy hunting and timber land here because there is none for sale here.
Our clients at Woodland Management Service do not own a any amount of forest land in this area though many wish that they did. And many hire us to manage their forests in the ways of the Menominee.
Most people are not even allowed to venture into most this county without permission, so I feel blessed to have been through here many times.
My visits have always been via invitation and with an escort, on tours led by the Menominee Tribal Foresters.
This county and her magnificent forests are off limits except on specific roads like the two state highways that travel through here, so stick to the highways and avoid angering the tribal police who are sure to find you should you trespass without permission.
Menominee County is home to Huge tracts of forest land which is the principle income for the Menominee people and it also provides excellent wildlife habitat.
With over 220 thousand forested acres, most of these (130,000 acres) are in climax forests like White Pine and Northern Hardwoods (Maple, Basswood, & Yellow birch).
This forest land also contains a significant amount of Aspen and Oak, 60 thousand acres which are essential to the great wildlife populations found here.
These forests are great for producing income for the Menominee people and great habitat for Deer, Bear, Wolves, Grouse, and more.
If you are interested in purchasing land in another county or if you already own some and would like to learn more about how to improve this land, give me a call, our Foresters and Wildlife Specialists can help.
View Menominee County Wisconsin in a larger map
A few other articles to check out.
- Click here to learn more
What is a Forester & Why do I Need a Forester?
Buying and Selling Forest Land
- Top 10 List for Selling Your Forestland at a Premium Price.
- What Is My Tree Worth? Q&A#3
- Forestland Evaluations, dont Buy or Sell Forestland without one.
- FAQ - How important is Access When Selling Hunting and Recreational Land?
Managing the Forest
- Your Forest May Need a Little Help
- FAQ Is leaving my woodland alone best for Wildlife & Forest Health?
- FAQ How do I create a Wildlife Paradise on my Property?
- FAQ How do I Encourage More Wildlife on My Land?
- FAQ What is Hygrading and why is it so Bad??
- FAQ I Have Recently Purchased/Inherited Some Forest Land. What's Next?
- Need a Break on your Forestland Taxes?
- Why Should I Hire A Forester To Sell My Timber? Q&A#4
- Do I need to have a Clear Cut on my property? Q&A#3
- Spring and Summer Danger, Oak Wilt can kill your most valuable trees
- Hunters are Looking to Lease Your Forestland