Preparing Your Decatur Rental Property
Renting your Investment Home in Decatur is important, but attracting good, long-term tenants is vital.
Before you begin marketing your Decatur property for lease, take a critical look at the overall condition of your home. Renters have certain expectations when they are searching for a place and Condition matters!
Here are a few essential preparations that will help attract good, qualified tenants :
- Curb Appeal - The exterior appearance of your investment property is your first chance to make a great First Impression. Make sure that shrubs are trimmed, lawn mowed, flower beds cleaned. Paint or pressure wash the exterior if necessary.
- Door Locks/Garage - It's always a good idea to change the locks after each tenant vacates. Check all locks and windows to make sure they operate properly. Make sure all Garage Openers or Gate Keys are working properly.
- Appliances - Make sure the Stove, Refrigerator and Dishwasher are clean and in working order. Move the Washer/Dryer and make sure it is clean behind and underneath. Check the Dryer filters and outside vents.
- HVAC/Plumbing - Have a reputable HVAC contractor service your heating system. Leave some extra furnace filters for the tenants to change. Check for any plumbing leaks under sinks and replace any defective parts.
- Paint or Wash Walls - The interior of your Decatur property should be as inviting as the exterior. Re-paint walls and baseboards if necessary and check particularly for dirt around light switches and door frames.
- Bathrooms/Kitchens - Bathrooms and kitchens should be spotless and all fixtures should shine.Check if bathroom caulk needs to be redone or towel racks tightened.
- Smoke Detectors/Lightbulbs - Replace all smoke detector batteries and check they are active. Wash all chandeliers and light fixtures and make sure all lightbulbs are in working order
- Clean and Vacuum - Wash hardwood floors and clean all baseboards and window sills, vacuum carpets or have them steam-cleaned. Clean all exterior windows, inside and out.
- Chimneys/Fireplace- If you have a working fireplace, have a reputable chimney sweep clean after each tenant vacates.
Subscribe to CommentsComment