Rules of Etiquette For Home-Hunting In Davie
Miss Manners has probably not written a manual on the rules of etiquette for house hunting, but such rules do exist. When you follow them, you'll endear yourself to your own agent, to the agents whose listings you'll view, and to the homeowners you hope will accept your offer on their home.
Rule #1: Be on time for your appointment. If something happens that prevents you from being on time – like a wreck blocking the freeway or a flat tire – call!
And of course, if you need to cancel, call just as soon as you know that to be a fact.
The others, in no particular order:
- Wipe your feet or use booties that the agent or homeowner supplies. Don't track in dirt!
- Control your children. If you've brought children along, keep them with you and enforce the "don't touch" rule, even when there are tempting toys in the house.
- Don't bring your cat or dog inside. If it's too hot for them to wait in the car, leave them at home or in a boarding kennel.
- If you've made an appointment to see a home, go inside even if the outside doesn't appeal. Remember that the homeowner has probably gone to some effort to get the home ready for you to view. And – you just MIGHT get a pleasant surprise.
- Don't open the refrigerator unless it conveys with the house.
- Don't help yourself to food or beverages. (I know, that goes without saying for most of us, but homebuyers have been known to take a cold drink or a piece of fruit.)
- Don't sit on the bed unless the house is being sold furnished.
- Don't open dresser drawers.
- Ask permission before using the rest room.
- If you unlatch and open a window or a door, put it back the way you found it.
- Don't smoke in the house.
- Do give your agent feedback. If you love the house, your feedback will be in the form of an offer. But if this isn't the house for you, let your agent know about things you like and don't like. This is information that will help him or her focus the search as you continue to look for the perfect home.
Are YOU ready to begin the search for the perfect home in Davie? Then get in touch. I'll be happy to help you find the home that suits both your lifestyle and your budget.