Many school districts in Michigan accept students who live outside of their school district through a policy called School of Choice. Rochester Community Schools does not participate in Schools of Choice. Although Rochester Community Schools has always had a policy of only enrolling students who live in the district’s boundaries, families have been able to choose which of the schools their children will attend. Beginning with the 2017-18 school year, more restrictions have been added.
Secondary: Open enrollment will be granted to students in grades 6 through 12 for those students who concurrently have a sibling enrolled at the building requested.
Elementary: For students entering grades K-5, intra-district open enrollment requests will be granted to children whose siblings are currently attending a school under open enrollment. Students entering grades K-5 who do not have siblings currently in attendance at a school under open enrollment will be considered using the following criteria:
- Available physical space at schools and/or grade levels within schools. Some schools may be closed to open enrollment for the subsequent school year.
- Contractual planning ratios and legal contractual limits.
- Space for anticipated growth/projections and special programs assigned to the building.
In addition, the following will apply:
- Students open enrolled prior to the 2017-18 school year who are changing levels (elementary to middle; middle to high) will automatically be enrolled in the school according to the open enrollment path, unless the parent/guardian notifies the office of student enrollment.
- Beginning with new open enrollment requests for the 2017-18 school year, students will be assigned to the school in their home attendance area when changing levels (elementary to middle; middle to high).
If you would like your child to attend award winning Rochester Community Schools, you need to live within the district’s boundaries. To ensure your child can attend the school of your choice, it would be prudent to ensure you are purchasing a home within that school’s boundaries.
For more information and to apply for intra-district open enrollment, click on