Tarleton Moore was one of the two original owners of the Moore and Cowan Cotton and Grist Mill which is now Gabriels at the Old Mill restaurant in Acworth. He built his home in 1848 on 30 acres. The 1880 United States manufacturing census showed that on 20 acres Moore produced nine 400 pound bales of cotton and on the remaining ten acres he produced 100 bushels of corn, which was taken to the mill to grist. The Moore House is significant in the area of architechture as an excellent example of a style which is rare in Georgia. The home features a steeply pitched side-gable roof, two steeply pitched gabled dormers on the front façade with arched windows, heavy window hood molds, and central entrance porch with square columns that include arch detail, scroll brackets and ballisters. The home is listed on the National Register of Historic Places.
The master bedroom suite is on the main level, along with a spacious family room, a formal dining room, a huge updated gourmet kitchen with an island and walk-in pantry, an office, laundry room, and mud room. The two upstairs rooms served as a home to visiting religious leaders, and had outside stairs leading to them that allowed both tenants and traveling ministers to come and go without disturbing the family. The upstairs of the home was ideally suited for clergymen because it was and still is in very close proximity to most of the churches of Acworth.
The home was lived in by Tarleton Moore’s daughter, known locally as Miss Annie, from the time of its construction until her death in 1936. She was well loved in the community and known for her intelligence on literary topics. She was described as a beautiful woman and a spinster - - a fiancé named William N. Kendrick, known as “Will,” died in October 1891 at age 30 shortly before their wedding was to be solemnized, and she spent the rest of her life loyal to him. According to census records, Miss Annie was able to read and write, and, in fact, in the 1920 census she gives her occupation as a publisher’s assistant. Miss Annie was a charter member of the Acworth Callilopeans, later named the Carrie Dyer Women’s Club, and was known to deliver lectures to the club on classical authors. She was also president of the local chapter of the Women’s Christian Temperance Union, an organization dedicated toward the abolition of alcohol. She was a member of the Baptist Church as a teacher in the Baptist Sunday School, and was the first woman appointed to head a committee at the church (she ran the Sunday School committee).
This important bit of Acworth history is currently for sale. It is a fantastic historical home on almost one acre within walking distance of downtown Acworth’s wonderful restaurants and charming shops, as well as being within walking distance of Lake Acworth and Logan Park. Fully restored and renovated, the home features four fireplaces, bead board ceilings, an open floor plan, with the original hardwood floors throughout the entire house. There are gorgeous crown moldings and other details in every room. The master bedroom suite on the main level features a raised trey ceiling, a romantic fireplace, a huge walk-in closet, and the private glamour bath features a corner soaking tub and a separate shower. The fantastic gourmet kitchen is updated with a large 6 x 6 foot granite island, walk-in pantry with pocket door, solid wood cabinetry, five burner cooktop, convection oven, and stainless steel appliances. The separate formal dining room is spacious, and will hold a table large enough to seat a large family and dinner guests. The custom built home office features built in shelving and cabinets to keep you organized. There are two spacious bedrooms upstairs, each with its own private bath. Additional space upstairs could be finished or used for storage. There is a kitchen level two car garage with automatic garage door openers, and plenty of other parking for family and guests. The home features a tankless water heater, security system, fenced yard, laundry room, mud room, two HVACs, and a charming carriage house for storage and yard equipment.
More information and photographs are available at: