What do you do when a Seller says I am thinking of listing my home for sale in 2-3 months?
Personally I ask myself is this seller trying to time the market?
Market timing is the strategy of making buy or sell decisions of financial assets (often stocks) by attempting to predict future market price movements. The prediction may be based on an outlook of market or economic conditions resulting from technical or fundamental analysis.
If you have been in this business long enough you know that there are buyers all season long but then there are busy times and slow times. Right now we are entering the Spring Real Estate Market (Superbowl-May) and I consider this the busiest time in the Real Estate Market.
So when a seller says I am thinking of selling in 2-3 months during the Spring Market where does this put them? Well it puts them in the month of June. June is a good month to list a home but then again you have a window of time before people go on vacation over July 4th weekend and end of Summer August.
Fall is a another active time in the market but then with Fall comes Thanksgiving... and then we are back to Winter time.
What other issues cause sellers to say I am not ready to list today?
- Need time to prepare the house for sale. Clean, fix up and do minor or major repairs
- Need time to plan a move and figure out where to live after a sale.
- Need time to process the emotions of making a decision to sell
- Need time to discuss with other family members
- Need to go over finances
Finally here is my advise on what to do as an agent
- Say Nothing . It's better to say nothing and do the following.
- Listen. Active listening and probing seller with questions and then show empathy and understanding of the problem and..
- Help Process. Help the seller with the process of selling. Not only the planning of the sale, but describe to them the good things and things that they can plan for and tell them there will be things that come up that they will have to deal with that they cannot plan.