February ended up better than expected (and better than my original goal). February is a shorter month, so there are fewer days to earn income through the site. And, in January, I had $130 of one-time/lucky income. So, I was expected to earn between $1,150 and $1,200. And, the goal I set last year was $1,250 for the month. Luckily, I exceeded both and earned $1,392 for February.
This is a good thing as things are starting to accelerate on an average daily basis.
My pageviews for the month were just 129,600 (as it was a shorter month). This would be equivalent of 139,000 over a 30 day time period. My daily pageviews declined a bit, while my earnings for pageview increased a slightly higher rate, and that's a good sign.
Please note that this article contains affiliate links. You can read my full disclosure in the right side bar (scroll down a bit).
Happenings for the month:
1. My main focus for the month has been my new painting job where I'm doing sales for a for a colleague of mine (I used to refer my customers to him. And, I've had several marketing clients I've been working with, and a lot of "paper work" for 2016 (i.e. quick books), so I've haven't had as much time as to work on my blog/passive income.
2. We just created a new blogging mastermind group - 4 of us across the country and we are all trying to drive affiliate/passive income on our blogs (various categories and I like the diversity). We've now had our 2nd google hangout, and so far it's been helpful. Now, I just need time to implement some of the suggestions.
3. I actually met with one of my new affiliate partners - live. He happened to be in town. Right now, I'm making close to nothing with them, but they are new to this (and so am I), and because I have so many pageviews, they feel there's a big opportunity here, so they want to help me (which is nice). So, now I have another "to do" list. And, of course, I go back to "I just need to find some more time" to implement. I'm hoping that once my taxes are done (which is now mostly out of my hands and in my bookkeeper's and accountant's hands), I will have a bit more time. My main part of this should be done by next weekend. Right now, I can't even look at quickbooks...I did a year's worth of work in 1 week. I just have a few more things to do next weekend.
4. I bought a new niche site domain. The idea is to just create a compact site of 4-5 pages and drive very targeted traffic to this site. Of course, time again is the issue...I didn't do anything on it since I bought it 2 weeks ago. Hopefully, it will be done in March.
5. On the bad news side, and out of my control, Amazon changed their commission rates. Overall, it's a paycut for all of us, and we are no longer given volume incentives. They are now using fixed rates and it varies by category, and it limits our upside. At first, it looked like it would have been a 22% decrease, but in my case, based on the rates for what I've been selling, it's only a 7-8% decline. And, it's a shame that I no longer have the upside from higher volume. I was at 7% commission rate, and I would have been at 7.5% rate for Feb, if there were 2 more days in the month. So, I've lost that upside potential from March and going forward. Oh well, nothing I can do about it. I'll have to make it up in volume and soon diversification.
Articles from Jan 2017
- Where to buy inexpensive navy area rugs + size/style guide for area rugs - I really should take this 2nd part of the article and offer as a free lead magnet for some of my other articles (e.g. gray area rug post, carpet trend posts).
- Real hardwood vs porcelian planks that look hardwood - pros and cons
- 2017 Carpet, runner and area rug trends
This month, I decided to pace myself better and do fewer articles and promote them better, especially on pinterest. I created a "launch sequence" of things I "should" be doing for each article...these are things that I always mean to do, but 75% of the time I never get to. Now, I just have an organized checklist. So, new goal is 1 epic article per week (and of course I'm a bit off that target...oh well, I have a enough good content throughout the years to sustain me).
So here's the breakout:
Affiliate sales $466.52
Amazon $459.67 (new record).
Other $ 6.85 (includes Wayfair)
Ebooks/Ko-fi $ 26.44
Ad Revenue $899.39
Adsense $ 44.03 (only on a few pages)
Youtube $ 5.81
Total passive income = $1,392
When I set out my monthly goals for the year (I want to be at $5,000/month passive income by end of year), my target for March was $1,625. I'm still keeping this target (and I hope I can reach it), but it will be a stretch. Based on current rate, and projecting for 31 days and extrapolating for Amazon rate changes, I'm probably around $1,500.
So here's to an awesome March.