AND...NO I don't spend hours in the kitchen making it!!
Pasta is one of my favourite foods, and being Italian, I’m very fussy about my Pasta, and there is no comparison between home made and store bought…. The good news? It’s not that difficult OR time consuming as everyone thinks.
It has a soft, velvety texture that you just don’t get in store bought pasta, and the other big plus? It only takes 2-3 minutes to cook… much less time than the store bought.
The other plus? You know exactly what you and your family are eating because everything is made from scratch with fresh eggs, and flour..
To compliment the soft, velvety pasta you need fresh home made sauce… also very easy to make.. either with meat, or without… just a few ingredients and about 45 minutes of cooking time and you have yourself a great pasta sauce.
Do you feel inspired to try some home made pasts in that inner chef in you? Always wanted to try making pasta but didn’t know how, or didn’t have a great recipe?
Here is the recipe for pasta dough.
This recipe will make 6 dozen (72) ravioli… or 1/2 the recipe will make enough spaghetti or Fettuccini to feed a family of 4-5.
You CAN freeze the dough and have it ready for the next time you want to enjoy some fresh pasta!
– 4 cups flour (I use 3 cups of Durham Wheat Semolina and one cup white flour) The Semolina flour gives the pasta that very soft velvety texture.
– 6 eggs
– 1 tsp of salt
– Pasta roller (either KitchenAid attachment, or hand roller)
– If you have a KitchenAid Mixer you can make the dough with that… but if not you can mix in a bowl… The nice thing about the mixer is that you can buy an attachment that rolls the dough and cuts it. Another attachment available can make 6 different types of pasta.
– After all ingredients are mixed together, knead for about 5 minutes.
– Wrap dough mixture in saran wrap and place in refrigerator for about 45 minutes.
You can do so much with this dough recipe, and make so many different kinds of pasta, from fresh strips of Pasta for great Lasagna… or cut into “ribbons” for fresh Tagliatelle, or Fettuccine, or Rigatoni, or Spaghetti, or Fusilli…. small and large Macaroni.. or Penne.. or whatever your favourite Pasta type is.
I hope I have inspired you to let out that inner chef in you… and you too can make delicious, fresh home made pasta !!