Firewood; Local Fuels, Good for People and the Environment!
You know you are up north when even the urban areas have truck loads of firewood in the yards.
I was in a little northwoods town a while ago looking for a café to do some paperwork while other Foresters were out in the woods doing the real work when I came across this and several other serious utilizers of natural local fuels.
It reminded me of how far we have drifted from our roots, spending billions of dollars and more resources and lives to import fuels from other parts of the world when we have so many great alternatives right here in our back yards.
Wood is a great fuel.
- It is Renewable, most of these trees only took a short time to grow.
- While growing, trees produce plenty of air and water purification.
- Most of the trees used for firewood are the garbage trees that need to be removed in order for others to grow better.
- Trees are Local, no fuel was spent importing them, and no lives were lost either.
- And the gases produced when burning wood are far less toxic than any fossil fuel.
But in our modern world where we avoid getting dirty it is easier to buy things from other parts of the world while ignoring the hidden costs of those conveniences.
Wood Warms You Three Times;
Once while you Cut it,
Once while you Split it,
and Finally a Third time while you Burn it
and enjoy the heat in your fireplace or wood stove.